0

Office of Gaelic Affairs Celebrates Official Opening

first_imgMinister of Gaelic Affairs Angus MacIsaac officially opened the Office of Gaelic Affairs at a reception today, Nov. 2, in Antigonish. Addressing more than 200 guests, Mr. MacIsaac said Gaelic is enjoying a revival in Nova Scotia with more interest being shown in the language and culture than at any other time. “The Office of Gaelic Affairs is successfully building on the important work of organizations such as the Gaelic Council of Nova Scotia and many years of grassroot community efforts to preserve and develop this language, which is customary to Nova Scotia,” said Mr. MacIsaac. “Over the past year, more people across the province have been exposed to Gaelic and have participated in cultural and language learning opportunities.” CEO of the Office of Gaelic Affairs Lewis MacKinnon said through partnerships and co-operation with government departments and community groups, the province has developed English-Gaelic boundary signs, Gaelic promotional materials and an interactive website, and announced $200,000 towards Gaelic programs in schools. “We work closely with the Gaelic community throughout the province on the direction Gaelic language development should take,” said Mr. MacKinnon. “The next step is developing a Gaelic-language plan for the province.” Mr. MacKinnon said Nova Scotia also continues to strengthen its partnerships with Gaelic communities in Ireland and Scotland. Established by the province in December 2006, the Office of Gaelic Affairs’ mandate is to develop greater awareness and appreciation for Gaelic language and culture, consult with communities on ongoing community-based Gaelic language programs, and develop a Gaelic-language plan and policy directions for the province. More information is available at www.gov.ns.ca/oga .last_img read more

0

Security Council extends UN mandate in Western Sahara until April

The unanimous vote of approval for a three-month extension comes after Secretary-General Kofi Annan earlier this month asked the Council to give more time for consultations between Morocco and James Baker, his Personal Envoy, over a peace plan for the disputed territory.The UN Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO) has been in place since April 1991 after Morocco and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Saguia el-Hamra and Rio de Oro (Frente POLISARIO) agreed to a ceasefire in their long-running dispute over the status of Western Sahara.The peace plan, submitted by Mr. Baker last year, calls for a referendum on the permanent future status of Western Sahara within four or five years. It was accepted by Frente POLISARIO in July. read more