0

FL expands state exam schedule for spring; critics opposed to any…

first_imgShare on Facebook Tweet on Twitter Support conservation and fish with NEW Florida specialty license plate Free webinar for job seekers on best interview answers, hosted by Goodwill June 11 Photo by Wadi Liss Please enter your comment! LEAVE A REPLY Cancel reply From Danielle J. Brown, Florida PhoenixFlorida school districts will be given more time to schedule crucial state exams during the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a new emergency order from state education officials.Florida Education Commissioner Richard Corcoran on Monday signed the new order granting school districts a wider testing window to help schedule statewide assessments while maintaining social distancing protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic.For example, the Grade 3 reading exam had been scheduled for April 5 to April 16. Now, districts can test between April 5 to April 30.Overall, controversy remains about whether students should have high-stake testing during the pandemic.Nevertheless, notifications of the emergency order were sent Monday morning to Florida school superintendents, and the Florida Department of Education posted tweets and messages on Twitter and Facebook.The order outlines a modified testing window for statewide assessments to better suit the challenges that come with educating and testing during the pandemic.The order extends the testing window from about two weeks to a month — meaning that school districts can use the extra time to administer the exam for students while accounting for more social distancing measures.The order also says that school superintendents can reach out to request for further scheduling flexibility, though to what extent is not yet clear.The order lays out the extended testing windows as followed:April 5-30: Grade 3 English Language Arts: ReadingApril 5-30: Grades 4-10 Writing:May 3-28: Grades 4-6 ELA, 3-6 Math, grades 5 and 8 Science:May 3-June 11: Grades 7-10 ELA/Math, End-of-Course exams:By extending these testing windows, the results of such tests are also delayed.“The results of the Grade 3 ELA assessment will be made available no later than June 30, and the results of the remaining assessments will be made available no later than July 31,” the order says.Some of these statewide assessments which could determine grade retention or affect graduation. As the Phoenix recently reported, the Grade 3 ELA assessment holds a lot of weight in projections for student success in subsequent grades.Statewide testing during the COVID-19 pandemic has been a contentious topic for some time.Last year, statewide assessments were cancelled due to the emerging COVID pandemic. Now they’re back on, but critics think exams add more pressures and stress, particularly while learning during the COVID pandemic. Many advocates say that the state should postpone this year’s exams too.Legislation in the upcoming 2021 legislative session would focus on using the assessments to identify struggling students rather than punishing them.But right now, students will have to test in person regardless of whether they learn in a brick-and-mortar classroom setting or at home on a computer.The emergency order would at least allow districts to schedule these exams in a way that would accommodate pandemic-related measures.“[Emergency order] does give us more time to conduct these tests and so that may help us with scheduling,” said Russell Bruhn, who oversees communications for the Brevard County school district, in a conversation with the Phoenix.He continued: “The challenge is getting students who are in charter schools, are in e-learning, or even in private schools… they come to the [Brevard Public Schools] brick-and-mortar schools for these tests. So the planning is on how to stay COVID compliant, with our COVID safety protocols, while administering these tests.”center_img The Anatomy of Fear Please enter your name here TAGSCOVID-19EducationFlorida Education Commissioner Richard CorcoranFlorida PhoenixOrderPandemicStatewide AssessmentsTesting Window Previous article5 Tips for Healthy SleepNext articleMajor League Baseball spring training begins in Florida – a return to ‘normalcy’ without the ‘normal’ Denise Connell RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR You have entered an incorrect email address! Please enter your email address here Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment.last_img read more

0

The 5 big names who won’t join Akonnor’s Black Stars to face Sudan later in March

first_imgC.K Akonnor’s new Black Stars squad, despite including 17 players from Kwesi Appiah’s final national team squad, still included a few surprising selections.Despite many people casting doubt about a potential future with the national team because of his age, 32-year-old Yahaya Mohammed made it into Akonnor’s 23.Hearts of Oak goalie, Richard Attah also earned a call-up with a string of decent performances in the Ghana Premier League for the Phobians this season.However, it’s the names that missed out on a call-up to the national side that have set tongues wagging.We take a look at the biggest named to have been left out by C.K Akonnor and possible reasons why they were dropped.Asamoah Gyan At 34 years old, Gyan is, without a doubt, reaching the end of his international career. In fact, it appeared to have ended when the player retired from the national team prior to the 2019 AFCON after being stripped of the captaincy only for him to return and feature at the tournament.Asamoah GyanHis form for current club, NorthEast United, however, indicates the finish line might not be as close as many people fear. Gyan has played eight times for United and scored four goals, creating one more for his side. Gyan missed out on Kwesi Appiah’s last list as well. Gyan’s relationship with Kwesi Appiah soured at the end, with the coach reluctant to play the striker while the player himself acknowledged that he wasn’t in the coach’s plans for the tournament. Gyan might have been hoping for a fresh start under Akonnor while that may not be the case this time, don’t ever rule out Ghana’s highest-ever goalscorer.Kwadwo AsamoahJust like Gyan, Kwadwo Asamoah had a strained relationship with Kwesi Appiah at the end of his second spell in charge. Although Appiah said the player’s “issues”, particularly injuries, kept him from playing more, Asamoah expressed concerns with the position he was asked to play in at AFCON 2019.Asamoah has barely played since the turn of the year for his club side, Inter Milan. In total, Asamoah has played 11 matches across Serie A and the Champions League, providing one assist. His lack of gametime might have factored in Akonnor’s decision to keep him out of the squad.Kevin-Prince BoatengOne player who isn’t lacking gametime this season is Kevin-Prince Boateng. Before moving to Besiktas on loan in January, KPB played 14 times for Fiorentina, scoring one goal. At the Turkish club, Boateng has made five appearances and already scored two goals.It’s not form or fitness that’s keeping Boateng out of the Black Stars. His history with the national team is checkered, bookmarked by the incident at the 2014 World Cup, where he and Sulley Muntari were kicked out. Although there’ve been some calls for him to be reintegrated into the side, the old wounds might just run a little too deep.Jonathan MensahMensah has established himself as a key player for Columbus Crew over the years, a fact that was cemented by him being named captain ahead of the season. He has started both of their matches so far this season. Mensah missed out on Kwesi Appiah’s last squad as well.A number of people have questioned why Mensah was left out of the squad given his importance for his club side. However, given the emergence of players like Kassim Nuhu and Joseph Aidoo, others suspect it might just be the case of the old guard being phased out.John BoyeBoye’s absence from Akonnor’s squad was made even more conspicuous by the hilarious exchange between a journalist and the Black Stars boss. However, there is a point to be made about Boye’s ommission. He has played 24 times for Metz this season and has become a key player for them.He’s even managed to chip in a couple of goals as well. John Boye has always had a love-hate relationship with Ghanaian football fans with the hate getting the upper hand in recent years after his escapades in Brazil and his red card in Ghana’s opening game at AFCON 2019 against Benin. But on his day, he’s a more-than-adequate defender. While he may not have made the squad this time, if he keeps up this form, don’t rule out a return for Boye to the Stars.last_img read more