0

Nike ‘deeply concerned’ and Juventus shares drop amid Ronaldo rape claims

first_imgBut the player’s relationship with Nike, which is rumoured to be worth $1 billion dollars (869 million euros), is under scrutiny after police in Las Vegas announced this week they were reopening an investigation into allegations made by a former model, Kathryn Mayorga, relating to an incident in 2009.“We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation,” a Nike spokesman told AFP.Nike said it was “deeply concerned” by the controversy surrounding their star client © GETTY IMAGES NORTH AMERICA/AFP/File / Drew AngererAccording to Forbes magazine, Ronaldo is one of only three athletes to have been given a lifetime deal with Nike, joining an elite club that also includes NBA icons LeBron James and Michael Jordan.EA Sports, for whom Ronaldo is a leading figure in their phenomenally successful FIFA video game market, also described the allegations as “concerning”.“We are closely monitoring the situation, as we expect cover athletes and ambassadors to conduct themselves in a manner that is consistent with EA’s values,” the group said in a statement.– Juventus reaction criticised –Ronaldo’s move from Real Madrid to Juventus in the summer gave the Italian champions a huge boost, both on and off the field, as they continue their elusive bid for a first Champions League title since 1996. On September 20, shares rose 180 percent to a record level of over 1.80 euros.But on Friday over five percent was wiped off the value of their shares in morning trading on the Milan stock exchange. At midday they were worth 1.25 euros a share.Cristiano Ronaldo, pictured this week with his girlfriend, Spanish model Georgina Rodriguez © AFP/File / Marco BERTORELLOJuventus have so far stood behind Ronaldo, but the Italian club’s reaction to the issue has angered some fans.The Portuguese striker “has shown in recent months his great professionalism and dedication, which is appreciated by everyone at Juventus”, the club wrote on Twitter Thursday, breaking their silence over the allegations.“The events allegedly dating back to almost 10 years ago do not change this opinion, which is shared by anyone who has come into contact with this great champion.”Juventus later posted a video on YouTube and Twitter showing Ronaldo training, with the caption: “Juventus go for goal. Cristiano Ronaldo finds the target!”The defending Serie A champions’ tweets were widely panned on social media as “shockingly dismissive and insensitive”.“You’d expect a more nuanced and sensitive approach from such a mega organisation,” said one tweet.In his pre-match press conference Friday, Allegri said Ronaldo seemed “calm”. “I see Ronaldo calm, he is ready to play. His professionalism and his composure on and off the pitch are not in question,” the Juventus coach said.Ronaldo has vehemently denied the rape accusations.“I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me,” he tweeted in English on Wednesday.Ronaldo, a father of four who initially made his name in the game during a six-year spell at Manchester United, transferred to Juventus from Real Madrid in the summer in a 100-million-euro deal © AFP/File / Thomas SAINT-CRICQ“Rape is an abominable crime that goes against everything that I am and believe in.“My clear conscious (sic) will thereby allow me to await with tranquility the results of any and all investigations,” he added on his Twitter feed, which has 75 million followers.Portugal said Thursday Ronaldo will play no part in the country’s next four internationals, but national coach Fernando Santos gave him his backing.Asked about the allegations, Santos said. “I know Cristiano Ronaldo very well and I fully believe his word when he says he would never commit a crime like this.”Mayorga’s attorney Leslie Stovall told reporters his client had suffered years of trauma as a result of the alleged attack and found the courage to speak out thanks to the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment and assault at the hands of powerful men.Mayorga claims she was pressured into signing a non-disclosure agreement in 2010 to keep the alleged rape secret and is seeking at least $200,000 in penalties and damages.0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Juventus say Ronaldo is “ready to play” this weekend © AFP/File / Jonathan NACKSTRANDMilan, Italy, Oct 5 – US sportswear giant Nike says it is “deeply concerned” by rape allegations against Cristiano Ronaldo and shares in Italian champions Juventus fell over five percent on the Italian stock exchange on Friday.Ronaldo’s coach at Juventus, Massimiliano Allegri, said the striker is “doing well” and is “ready to play” when the Turin giants travel to Udinese in Serie A on Saturday.last_img read more

0

Gay wedding ban off agenda in ’06, Senate tells Bush

first_imgWASHINGTON – By a wide margin Wednesday, the Senate rejected a constitutional amendment to ban gay marriage, delivering a stinging defeat to President George W. Bush and other Republicans who hope the issue will rally GOP voters for the November elections. The senators’ vote was 49-48 to limit debate and bring the amendment to a yes-or-no decision. That was 11 short of the 60 needed, killing the measure in the Senate for this year. Bush suggested a ban would be proper and its time would still come. He said, “Our nation’s founders set a high bar for amending our Constitution, and history has shown us that it can take several tries before an amendment builds the two-thirds support it needs in both houses of Congress.” Democrats suggested it was all about conservative politics. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE11 theater productions to see in Southern California this week, Dec. 27-Jan. 2“Why is it … Republicans are all for reducing the federal government’s impact on people’s lives until it comes to these stinging litmus-test issues, whether gay marriage or end of life, (and then) they suddenly want the federal government to intervene?” asked Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif. The 49 votes to keep the amendment alive were one more than the measure received the last time the Senate voted – in 2004. Proponents had predicted at least a 51-vote majority in the 100-member Senate with the gain of four Republican seats since 2004. It takes two-thirds majorities in both houses of Congress to send a proposed amendment to the states for ratification. The House will take up the issue next month. Despite the defeat, amendment backers insisted progress had been made because the debate over three days raised the issue’s profile and will force candidates to answer for their votes on the campaign trail. “Eventually, Congress is going to have to catch up to the wisdom of the American people, or the American people will change Congress for the better,” said Sen. David Vitter, R-La. Most bitter to authors of the proposed amendment was the loss of support in their own GOP caucus. Two Republicans changed their votes from yes in 2004 to no this time: Judd Gregg of New Hampshire and Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

0

Kaiser has no answer vs. LaSierra

first_img Yet, it was the La Sierra defense that came up with the big plays in stopping the host Cats (3-2) at Fontana High School. La Sierra twice stopped Kaiser on fourth downs in the third quarter before putting away the Cats with two touchdowns in a span of almost four minutes. “Our defense stepped it up in the second half,” La Sierra coach Tony Barile said, noting his squad was down 15-14 at intermission. “They made the big plays. We’re smaller than every team we play, so we did everything we could with movement. FONTANA – Sean Sudol had quite an evening for La Sierra against Kaiser in Thursday night’s 34-15 victory, which finished the nonleague portion of the schedule for both schools. All Sudol did was pass for 241 yards and two touchdowns, score another and throw a clearing block 25 yards downfield on another run to the end zone for the Eagles (5-0). AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREThe top 10 theme park moments of 2019 “This definitely was our best game thus far.” The game turned on three plays on Kaiser’s first possession of the second half. Lonyae Miller had scoring runs of 73 and 47 yards erased on a pair of penalties, and Shandron Howard stopped Kaiser’s Jamaal Smith on a fourth-and-2 near midfield. Following an exchange of fourth-down stops, La Sierra took control when Sam Epsteen slithered through the Kaiser defense for 71 yards, with Sudol throwing the key block at the Kaiser 45. Four plays later, Travis Garza intercepted a pass for the Eagles and returned it 50 yards to the Kaiser 41. Initially, it was ruled Garza fumbled and Kaiser recovered. But for the second time in the game, the officiating crew reversed the call. La Sierra earlier lost a two-point conversion after a conference. center_img “That didn’t cost us,” Kaiser head coach Dick Bruich said, although his protests at the time told a different story. “We didn’t tackle, and that’s the name of the game. But those penalties took us our of rhythm and gassed Lonyae. “I was second-guessing myself on those calls as to why our best back wasn’t carrying the ball, but we have to give him a break sometime.” Miller finished the game with 197 yards on 28 carries and one touchdown. But it was Sudol who had the better numbers. He hit 18-of-28 passes, scoring once on a 12-yard draw (part of his 66 rushing yards) and connecting with Garza for scores of 8 (on fourth down) and 22 yards. “He had a good game, made the right reads and made the right calls,” Barile said. “I’m proud of him and the team. Kaiser was the test to get ready for (Ivy) League.” Not so for Kaiser, headed for a ground-oriented Sunkist League. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more