0

Two Former Miss Americas to Join O.C. Pops at Sept. 4 Concert

first_imgLocal fans who will miss the Miss America Pageant when it moves to Connecticut can still catch a great show featuring two former Miss America winners on Sept. 4 at the Ocean City Music Pier.The Ocean City Pops orchestra will celebrate one of the Jersey Shore’s most treasured traditions when Miss America 2002 Katie Harman Ebner and Miss America 1998 Kate Shindle perform as special guest vocalists.Miss America 2012 Laura Kaeppeler had been scheduled to perform but is no longer able to join the concert. Shindle – who wowed audiences as a headliner in the Ocean City Theatre Company’s “Broadway on the OC Boardwalk” show 10 years ago – will return to Ocean City to join Harman Ebner at the concert.The two former Miss Americas will take concertgoers on a journey through Broadway, pop and opera. Both have been recognized around the world for their vocal achievements.The concert begins at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Sept. 4. Tickets $20 to $30 are available at www.oceancityvacation.com/boxoffice, by calling 609-399-6111, or at the Music Pier Box Office, the City Hall Welcome Center (861 Asbury Avenue) or the Roy Gillian Welcome Center (on the Rt. 52 causeway).Shindle made her Broadway debut in “Jekyll & Hyde” in 1997. Her other notable Broadway roles include Sally Bowles in “Cabaret” (after headlining the national tour), Vivienne in “Legally Blonde” and the Mad Hatter in Frank Wildhorn’s “Wonderland.” As a producer, Shindle was an associate on the Broadway premiere of the Tony-nominated “A Christmas Story: The Musical.”In 2015, she was elected to serve as the youngest-ever president of Actors’ Equity Association, the union representing more than 50,000 stage actors and stage managers across the United States. She is a fan of big dogs and road biking, and very much enjoys a good single-malt scotch.Kate Shindle (Photo courtesy of City of Ocean City) The Ocean City Music Pier, home of the Ocean City Pops Orchestra for 90 years. last_img read more

0

Argonia-Attica vs. Caldwell could be a game of offensive fireworks

first_imgby James Jordan, Sumner Newscow — Caldwell and Argonia-Attica made strong statements in their respective season openers last week, and they meet in week two in Argonia in what could be a game filled with offensive fireworks – provided Mother Nature will let them.The thing is, this might not be the last time these two teams will play. Both could well be playoff contenders and could meet again in the post season.Tonight is a pre-district game though, and will have little bearing on any standings that matter, so both teams can enjoy the moment without much pressure.Last week, Caldwell blew out Udall 52-6, and Argonia Attica beat Central Burden 52-12. In  both instances the games ended early because of the score.Argonia-Attica was perhaps a little more of a surprise as most of the starers were new and they were playing a preseason ranked team. It looked more like a reloading than a rebuilding campaign.Freshman quarterback Trevor Pierce passed for 107 yards and rushed for 102 more and accounted for four touchdowns. Seth Hemberger rushed for 101 yards.Caldwell is a senior-laden team with a lot of experience, and their blowout was more expected. Running back Dakota Volavda averaged 23 yards per carry last Friday, running for 142 yards on six carries and scoring twice. Senior quarterback Colten Ward completed all four of his passes for 51 yards and one touchdown.  He also ran for 74 yards on four carries.Caldwell had 281 yards of offense, but their yards per play, 14.8 was impressive.Argonia-Attica coach Luke Greenwood said the game has become a rivalry and they are excited about the game.“Caldwell has a very talented team this year with most everyone back from their playoff team last year,” Greenwood said. “Our teams are very similar and we both have high expectations for this season.”He said his team would try to slow down the Caldwell offense. He said getting pressure on the quarterback often would be a good way to slow them down.Greenwood said his team worked on eliminating mistakes like missed blocking assignments, and adjusting to defenses.Greenwood said the game would be a good test and “should help us gauge what kind of team we have this year.”Caldwell coach Sean Blosser had similar sentiments, saying the game should give them a clear picture of where they are as a team.“When you play a team that has had a couple seasons like A-and-A has, you should be excited,” Blosser said. “You practice and prepare to have the opportunity to play good teams. We have that this week.”Blosser also said the team worked on techniques and getting better at making reads this week.———In other Sumner County games:West Elk (1-0) at Oxford (1-0): West Elk blew away Flinthills 54-0 while Oxford beat South Haven significantly 54-6. This will be Oxford’s first home game. The Patriots were favored to win the South-Central Border League.South Haven (0-1) at Flinthills (0-1): This will be a huge opportunity for South Haven to pick up a big win. Both teams were 45ed in game one.W. Independent (0-1) at Conway Springs (1-0): The Cardinals home opener. This should be an easy win for Conway Springs. W. Independent lost to Chaparral 31-7 in week one. Conway Springs was victorious over Belle Plaine 48-8.Belle Plaine (0-1) at Cheney (0-1): Cheney is just coming off a 36-21 loss to Wichita Trinity. This will be another tough matchup for the Dragons, currently on a 29-game losing streak.last_img read more

0

17 days agoEverton hero Howard part-owner in Dagenham & Redbridge FC

first_imgEverton hero Howard part-owner in Dagenham & Redbridge FCby Paul Vegas17 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Everton and Manchester United goalkeeper Tim Howard is part-owner of Dagenham & Redbridge FC.Howard, 40, who made 414 appearances for the Blues across a decade-long stint between 2006-16 – more than any other player from outside the British Isles – played the final game of his professional career on Sunday in Colorado Rapids’ 3-1 defeat to Los Angeles.With his playing days now over, Howard looks poised to be casting his eyes back across the Atlantic on a more regular basis to National League club Dagenham & Redbridge where he has been part of their US-based Trinity Sports Holdings ownership team for the past year, says the Liverpool Echo.The club, who were only formed in 1992 after a merger between Dagenham FC and Redbridge Forest, spent nine years in the Football League between 2007-16 but are currently in the National League and finished 18 out of the 24 clubs in the division last season. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

0

October 12 2002 The Italian Projects Roma Tre stu

first_imgOctober 12, 2002 The ItalianProjects Roma Tre students have arrived. [bottom] Valerio Pellegrini,Carlo Ciampoli, Alessandro Celleti and Alfonso Rubeis. [top] AnitaMaruccia. The five architecture students will complete a semesterprogram at Arcosanti earning credits with their University inconstruction, model making, woodshop, and a course with Arizona StateUniversity. [Photo & text: SA] This ItalianProject program links Arizona State University with Universita Roma Treas these students will attend one ASU Architecture course this fall.ASU professor Jeff cook has developed this new program with Arcosanti’sItalian Project. The students on their way to school. [Photo: T & text:SA] Randall Schultz isinstructing the students in wood working. Carlo has completed abeautiful new counter top for EC I and Alessandro is cutting it toexact size. [Photo & text: SA] Anita and Valeriowith their wood working projects. For more information on the ItalianProject contact Linda Roby(PublicRelations) or AntonioFragiacomo. [Photo & text: SA]last_img read more

0

The article Total War over the Petrodollar was ori

first_imgThe article Total War over the Petrodollar was originally published at caseyresearch.com. The conspiracy theories surrounding the death of Total SA’s chief executive, Christophe de Margerie, started the second the news broke of his death. Under mysterious circumstances in Moscow, his private jet collided with a snowplow just after midnight. De Margerie was the CEO of Total, France’s largest oil company.He’d just attended a private meeting with Russian Prime Minister Medvedev, at a time when the West’s relationship with Russia is fraught, to say the least.One has better odds of being struck by lightning at an airport then a snow plow, or any other ground support vehicles hitting a plane and killing all inside the plane, in my opinion. And I say that as someone who’s familiar with airports, having worked at Vancouver International Airport when I was in university; I was the one who would bring the plane into its parking bay.If it weren’t for those short odds, a snowplow on the runway with an allegedly drunk driver would be the perfect crime. But who would benefit from his death?De Margerie was one of the few business leaders who spoke out against the isolation of Russia. On this last trip to Moscow, he railed against sanctions and the obstacles to Russian companies obtaining credit.He was also an outspoken supporter of Russia’s position in natural gas pricing and transportation disputes with Ukraine, telling Reuters in an interview in July that Europe should not cut its dependence on Russian gas but rather focus on making the supplies more secure.But what could have made de Margerie a total liability is Total’s involvement in plans to build a plant to liquefy natural gas on the Yamal Peninsula of Russia in partnership with Novatek. Its most ambitious project in Russia to date, it would facilitate the shipping of 800 million barrels of oil equivalent of LNG to China via the Arctic.Compounding this sin, Total had just announced that it’s seeking financing for a gas project in Russia in spite of the current sanctions against Russia. It planned to finance its share in the $27-billion Yamal project using euros, yuan, Russian rubles, and any other currency but US dollars.Did this direct threat to the petrodollar make this “true friend of Russia”—as Putin called de Margerie—some very powerful and dangerous enemies amongst the power that be, whether in the French government, the EU, or the US?In my book The Colder War, one chapter deals with “mysterious deaths” and how they are linked to being on the wrong side of the political equation. Whether it’s going against Putin or against the petrodollar, there are many who have fallen on both sides.If Total doesn’t close the $27 billion financing it needs to move forward with the Yamal LNG project then we’ll know someone stepped in to prevent an attack on the petrodollar.  The CEO of Total, before his death and his CFO were both strong supporters of Total raising the $27 billion in non US dollars and moving the project forward with the Russians.  But, this could all change if the financing does not complete.How many other Western executives who dare to help Russia bypass sanctions—and turn it into an energy powerhouse—will die under suspicious circumstances?Marin Katusa, is author of The Colder War, manager of multiple global energy-exploration hedge funds, and co-founder of Copper Mountain Mining Corporation. Click here to get a copy of his must-read new book, The Colder War. Inside, you’ll discover exactly how Putin is taking over the energy sector, how far ahead he is, and how alarming it is that no one in the US or Europe has even entered the race. last_img read more

0

A disabled campaigner who has been refused permiss

first_imgA disabled campaigner who has been refused permission to apply for a vital disability benefit in a way that is accessible to him has begun legal proceedings against the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP).Graham Kirwan has been told that he is unable to communicate via email as he attempts to claim personal independence payment (PIP).Kirwan had previously been a long-term claimant of disability living allowance (DLA) but had his payments suspended when he failed to respond to letters asking him to apply for PIP, letters that he says he never received and that would not have been accessible to him anyway.Kirwan, who is partially-sighted, has computer software that can magnify text, but it does not generally work with scanned or PDF documents.He has been told by DWP to use the charity Citizens Advice to help with his application for PIP – which is gradually replacing working-age DLA – but he wants to fill in the form himself, so he can take responsibility for the accuracy of the answers.And he points to DWP guidance that states that email is an acceptable alternative for communication for people with his access needs.Kirwan says that while most people can fill in their PIP claim form with a pen costing just 10 pence (DWP provides a free envelope and postage), he has spent £1,200 equipping himself with the necessary technology to communicate effectively, as well as facing annual costs of about another £700.He said: “In this instance the disability is being deliberately created by the DWP. I have no communication disability? when allowed to use email and assistive software.“Email is cost effective and creates independence, choice and control?.“Using Citizens Advice when I can do something for myself is using up their valuable resources and my limited time?.“Although they may be experts in the field of compiling forms, it only takes one mistake (by a first-time volunteer)? on their part for me to fail to be awarded PIP.“The responsibility would be mine, as I am forced to sign a piece of paper which I cannot be 100 per cent sure is correct.”Kirwan has told DWP that completing forms over the telephone or through a home visit from a civil servant places him at a substantial disadvantage to other disabled people, while he has been told that forms completed over the telephone would still need to be sent to him to be read and signed.He has told DWP in a legal letter that “the DWP system for sending and receiving information to blind and partially sighted people is at best ad hoc and prone to consistent failure”.Kirwan, who represents Dudley Centre for Inclusive Living on accessible information issues, has already secured one legal victory over a government department, after a threatened judicial review led to the Department of Health publishing its first accessible information standard earlier this year.A DWP spokeswoman confirmed that the department had received Kirwan’s email, but she said she was unable to comment further because of the legal nature of the complaint.last_img read more

123