0

Insiders hope gambling ad changes can be agreed next week

first_img Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter Secretary of State for Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Jeremy Wright is among those to have welcomed reports that a voluntary ban on betting advertising during sports broadcasts is close to being agreed.Wright (pictured) said further restrictions on advertising would be a “welcome move” in response to an erroneous BBC report that Remote Gambling Association (RGA) members have already agreed to voluntarily implement a ban on gambling advertisements during live sports events other than horse racing.iGamingBusiness.com understands it is hoped an agreement will be reached by next Wednesday (Dec 12), although it must be signed off by the Industry Group for Responsible Gambling, which represents all five major UK gambling industry associations.Wright welcomed the industry’s proactive approach since discussions over changes to the Gambling Industry Code for Socially Responsible Advertising began last month.“Welcome move from gambling firms today on advertising ban during live sport,” Wright said. “Pleased to see industry responding to concerns raised and helping to protect children and vulnerable people from risks of gambling related harm.”Critics of the gambling industry were disappointed to see that the reported provisional deal applies only to television advertising. The Campaign for Fairer Gambling argued that only a ban covering shirt and league sponsorship, and pitch-side scrolling displays will be effective.GambleAware chief executive Marc Etches said that while the charity supported action on television advertising, changes must also be taken on online marketing.“We have been saying for a long time now that gambling is being increasingly normalised for children,” he said. “They are growing up in a very different world than their parents, one where technology and the internet are ever present.“So while we welcome this move by betting companies, it is important to pay attention to analysis that shows the marketing spend online is five times the amount spent on television.“The fact that it is reported one in eight 11 to 16 year olds are following gambling companies on social media is very concerning.”The proposed “whistle-to-whistle” ban was enough to cause a significant blow to major gambling operators’ share prices. William Hill shares were trading down 3.3% at 157.2p today (December 6), while Ladbrokes and Coral owner GVC was down 4.0% to 692.5p and Unibet owner Kindred Group was down 3.7% to SEK86.5.Free-to-air broadcaster ITV, which shows many England international football matches, was down by 4.3% to 132.35p. Insiders hope gambling ad changes can be agreed next week 6th December 2018 | By contenteditor Politicians, campaigners and investors react to reports an agreement to stop betting advertising during live sport broadcasts is near  Topics: Marketing & affiliates Marketing & affiliates Email Address AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterlast_img read more

0

William Hill partners Income Access to revamp affiliate programme

first_imgAddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitter William Hill US has linked up with marketing technology and services provider Income Access to expand and strengthen its affiliate program across the country. Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter Marketing & affiliates Email Address Regions: UScenter_img Topics: Marketing & affiliates Sports betting William Hill US has linked up with marketing technology and services provider Income Access to expand and strengthen its affiliate program across the country.Paysafe Group-owned Income Access will work with William Hill US to launch tracking and reporting tools to support affiliates in the US, with a particular focus on New Jersey’s igaming marketThe bookmaker said that the partnership will also enable its affiliates to quickly launch campaigns, as well as benefit from flexible commission schemes and a comprehensive ad serving tool.William Hill US currently operates over 100 sportsbooks across the US, including land-based, online and mobile platforms.Read the full story on iGB North America. 30th July 2019 | By contenteditor William Hill partners Income Access to revamp affiliate programmelast_img read more

0

Penn National names Apple’s David Williams as new CFO

first_img Penn National Gaming has appointed David William, a Apple executive, as its new chief financial officer and executive vice president with effect from 3 March. Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter Penn National names Apple’s David Williams as new CFO Topics: Casino & games Finance People Sports betting Strategy Email Address Casino & games 24th January 2020 | By contenteditor Penn National Gaming has appointed David William, a Apple executive, as its new chief financial officer and executive vice president with effect from 3 March.Williams will assume responsibility for all Penn National’s financial and treasury functions, as well as helping to develop and support its various strategic growth initiatives including its igaming and sports betting businesses.Replacing William (B.J.) Fair, who announced his intention to step down in September of last year, Williams will report directly to Penn National’s new chief executive Jay Snowden.Williams will join Penn National from Apple where, since 2012, he has served as chief financial officer of Claris, the technology giant’s B2B software subsidiary formally known as FileMaker.In this role, Williams was responsible for all aspects of the division’s finance and strategic planning. He also managed its information systems and operations functions.Williams joined Apple’s AppleSoft division in 1995 and worked on the AppleSoft integration into Claris later that year.Read the full story on iGB North America. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitterlast_img read more

0

London casinos offer compromise on Covid-19 curfews

first_imgRegulation “It is no exaggeration to say that a blanket 10pm curfew would be devastating for a sector which does more than half of its business after that time and which is still struggling to get back on its feet following the first lockdown and the collapse of tourism,” Dugher said. London casinos offer compromise on Covid-19 curfews 21st September 2020 | By Aaron Noy Instead of closing their entire facility by 10pm, the casinos have offered to shut their bars, while continuing to operate the rest of the venue safely in line with measures put in place since reopening on 15 August. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitter “The alternative is the prospect of thousands of job losses – both in London and across the UK – and the permanent closure of some of the capital’s most iconic casinos that can help power our much-needed economic recovery.” “Closing our bars rather than our entire casinos would have a more limited impact on our revenues, would protect jobs, preserve the future of casinos and would retain tax receipts for the Treasury.” Mayor of London Sadiq Khan is also said to be in favour of a similar curfew in the capital, but the city’s 24 casinos have written to Khan to offer a compromise that they said would help protect thousands jobs. Michael Dugher, chief executive of the Betting and Gaming Council (BGC), said that while he supports the government’s aims to protect people, he is keen to ensure the casinos sector does not suffer more damage after a tough few months. Casinos in London have offered to temporarily close their bars to help prevent a curfew that they said would result in the loss of thousands of jobs across the market amid the ongoing novel coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic. The BGC last week openly opposed the proposed curfew plans in the north-east, having already written to Culture Secretary Oliver Dowden warning that if the curfew were to be rolled out nationwide, it could lead to thousands of job losses. The government is this week expected to announce new measures to slow the spread of Covid-19, with the UK having seen an upturn in the number of people testing positive for the virus in recent weeks. Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter Regions: UK & Ireland The casinos said the idea behind the closure of bars would help to stop people congregating in group and ensure people remain spread out across the casino. “By all means address the core issue of drinking rather than slamming a blanket curfew on our venues which would do nothing to suppress the spread of the virus but which would simply sound the death knell for jobs and for famous London casinos,” the letter added. Some areas in the UK, such as north-east England, are already subject to new restrictions, with leisure facilities such as casinos required to close between the hours of 10pm and 5am every day. “The 10pm curfew just risks encouraging young people to mix in households, where there is no track and trace, and spreading the virus further and faster,” Dugher said. “But if the London Mayor or Government want to close pubs and restaurants at 10pm, we can do that in the casinos too, while continuing to provide a best-in-class Covid-secure environment. This might be a sensible compromise. “If London is subjected to a 10pm curfew, most of our casinos will be unviable and some will inevitably close, with the loss of hundreds, if not thousands, of jobs in the capital as the furlough scheme nears its end,” the letter said. These measures include installing Perspex screens, sanitisation stations, adhering to social distancing guidelines and running track and trace systems for punters and staff. Email Address Topics: Casino & games Legal & compliance Regulationlast_img read more

0

Caesars to reopen The Cromwell casino in Las Vegas

first_imgIt will welcome back customers on October 29, meaning the Rio, located just off the Las Vegas Strip, is the only Caesars property in the city yet to reopen. Casino & games Caesars Entertainment is to reopen The Cromwell on the Las Vegas Strip next week, meaning just one of the operator’s properties in the city is yet to open following the novel coronavirus (Covid-19) shut-down. Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter The Cromwell’s hotel and gaming floor will be open seven days a week for guests aged 21 and over. Tags: Las Vegas Caesars Cromwell Regions: Nevada AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitter Caesars to reopen The Cromwell casino in Las Vegas The Cromwell closed its doors in mid-March in line with Nevada’s Covid-19 restrictions and is the only Caesars property on the Las Vegas Strip yet to resume operations. “In line with the boutique hotel experience, we are pleased to announce that we will reopen on October 29 as the first adults-only property on Las Vegas Boulevard, with a continued emphasis on our enhanced health and safety protocols.” Email Address Read the full story on iGB North America. 23rd October 2020 | By Robert Fletcher Topics: Casino & gameslast_img read more

0

Cameroon’s Winnerbet to migrate to Pronet gaming platform

first_img Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter “It was clear from the outset that Winnerbet was keen to utilise our market-leading product offering across both retail and online and we are delighted to be working with an operator and brand that resonates so strongly for players in Cameroon.” Topics: Casino & games Online casino Regions: Africa Winnerbet added that it hoped Pronet Gaming’s existing connections with many leading developers will aid both companies moving forward. “As a platform provider, it’s particularly pleasing when your work in pulling together a strong product portfolio is recognised by an operator looking to accelerate its commercial growth,” added Pronet Gaming’s chief sales officer Colin McDonagh. Cameroon-based operator Winnerbet has today announced a platform partnership agreement with Pronet Gaming that will see it migrate to the supplier’s platform. Tags: Winnerbet Pronet Gaming AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwittercenter_img Cameroon’s Winnerbet to migrate to Pronet gaming platform “The sports market in Cameroon has fantastic growth potential and we can’t wait for our players to engage with such a high-quality and wide range of products.” Online casino 10th March 2021 | By Nosa Omoigui Winnerbet has over 300 retail outlets across Africa, making it one of Cameroon’s largest operators. A Winnerbet spokesperson said: “We are confident in our belief that migrating to Pronet Gaming’s platform will prove to be a winning move as we aim to cement our status as a forward-thinking operator. Email Addresslast_img read more

0

Sands sees 15.6% Q1 revenue drop amid sale of Las Vegas operations

first_img Subscribe to the iGaming newsletter In January, Goldstein revealed that Sands was exploring opportunities to expand into online gambling. 22nd April 2021 | By Marese O’Hagan AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to LinkedInLinkedInShare to FacebookFacebookShare to TwitterTwitter After including these discontinued operations, Sands made a $342m loss, almost seven times its Q1 2020 loss. Casino & games In terms of individual markets, Macau took the top spots with its Venetian, Plaza Macao and Four Seasons Macao, and Londoner properties taking in $340m, $170m and $137m respectively. Total Macao operation revenue came to $777m, down 4.5% from the first 2020 quarter. Casino revenue made up most of the $1.20bn total, bringing in $865m, with mall earnings coming second with a total of $156m. However, operating expenses came to $1.292bn, meaning that Sands made a $96m operating loss. This compared to a profit of $6m for Q1 last year. Goldstein took on the CEO role following the death of Sands founder Sheldon Adelson at 87. Land-based casino operator Las Vegas Sands brought in a net revenue of $1.20bn in the first quarter of 2021, a 15.6% decrease from the first quarter of 2020 – after excluding the Las Vegas properties it sold during the quarter. The operator’s Las Vegas properties, including the Venetian resort, brought in £139m. However, these numbers exclude the Las Vegas properties, as Sands sold the operations to VICI Properties (including funds by Apollo Global Management) for $6.25bn last month. Sands sees 15.6% Q1 revenue drop amid sale of Las Vegas operations On an earnings call regarding the Q1 results, Sands CEO Robert Goldstein said he saw the sale as an opportunity for return. Sands hopes that the deal to sell the properties will close in the fourth quarter of 2021. “I think we continue to believe there’ll be something happening in Macao at some point in the future, which will enable us to reinvest in Macao on a non-gaming basis. We’re hopeful that’ll happen sooner than later. We continue to look at other large-scale Asian opportunities.” After interest and taxes, net loss from ongoing operations this quarter was $280m, a 204.0% increase from $92m in the first 2020 quarter. Email Address Tags: Las Vegas Sands Macau Marina Bay Sands in Singapore was its top property overall, though, bringing in $326m. Topics: Casino & games Finance Land-based casino Q1 results 2021 Regions: Asia China US Macau Nevadalast_img read more