0

Richford residents still waiting on new post office

first_imgThe owner said she was informed in January the diner’s contract with the postal service would not be renewed, and so shortly after that the town was left without any form of post office at all. “We wanted to transfer the contract to us and unfortunately was unable to be done that way, so they decided to remove it from us, and now it stands on the corner and now it still sits there from February of this year and people are still waiting,” said Karla Woodmansee, who bought the diner last summer. RICHFORD (WBNG) — This holiday season, one town’s residents sure are thankful Santa doesn’t deliver his packages by mail. Residents said the original Richford post office closed back in the fall of 2013. A spokesperson for the postal service said it had been a topic of discussion, but did not say when it would open and why it hasn’t opened yet. Sometime after that, a smaller operation was attached to the Red Rooster Diner in town, where residents could still send and receive packages. Woodmansee said contractors working on building a new post office told her it was supposed to be open in July, but even though construction has been completed, it still isn’t open.last_img read more

0

Once upon a time: Indonesia to employ storytelling, narrative in tourism recovery strategy

first_imgThe government is turning to the power of storytelling to promote the country’s major tourist destinations, which will likely involve help from social media influencers, to revive the sector that has been deeply impacted by the pandemic.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, in his annual state address and financial note speech at the House of Representatives on Aug. 14, stated that the approach, dubbed “storynomics,” would utilize the strength of narration and creative and cultural content to promote the country’s tourist spots. It will be part of the government’s allocation of Rp 14.4 trillion (US$972.6 million) to fund tourism recovery efforts next year.The Tourism and Creative Economy Ministry’s undersecretary for tourism products, Rizki Handayani, stated that the government believed tourists would stay longer and spend more at tourist destinations if they understood the tales and contexts surrounding the destinations. “As we shift our focus to quality tourism, we aim to offer experiences to tourists. What the President means by storynomics is providing tourists stories and narration behind the destination, which would amaze them and spur a sense of adventure so they stay longer,” she told The Jakarta Post in a phone interview on Aug. 15.The average length of stay for foreign tourists in starred hotels in the country stood at 2.77 days in December 2019, slightly down from 2.87 days in December 2018, according to Statistics Indonesia (BPS) data.The pandemic has continued to reduce foreign visits to the country, as foreign arrivals fell by 59.96 percent year-on-year to 3.09 million in the first half of the year, amid international border closures and travel restrictions, according to BPS data.With the decreasing visits, the Indonesian Hotel and Restaurant Association (PHRI) estimated that the ongoing health crisis had wiped Rp 85 trillion of Indonesia’s tourism revenue as of mid-July. The Tourism and Creative Economy Ministry expected a full recovery of foreign tourist arrivals by 2025, while it predicted 2.8 million to 4 million foreign visitors by year-end, a far cry from the government’s initial target of 18 million visitors.To support the promotional initiative, Rizki said the ministry would use the help of online influencers to promote stories and tales of Indonesia’s tourist destinations to lure foreign visitors.“We would also need online influencers to market our destinations in the future. However, they should also have to tell the story behind the destination and attractions inside their promotional material to inspire visits,” she said.Read also: Jokowi sets sights on economic recovery, structural reform in 2021 state budgetIndonesia boasted 160 million social media users as of January 2020, up 12 million from last year, according to a digital report by social media management Hootsuite and global agency We Are Social.It will also provide training for locals at tourist attractions to become interpreters and guides, while also building supporting infrastructure, such as placards and signage, which will tell the location’s stories. The stories should be educational while still enticing, she said.“Our first step will be building the story for the destinations. Then, we will train the locals on how to tell stories and interpret the meaning of those stories to tourists,” she said.Aside from the promotional strategy, the government will also channel funding for infrastructure development in the so-called super priority tourist destinations, namely Lake Toba in North Sumatra, Borobudur in Central Java, Labuan Bajo in East Nusa Tenggara, Mandalika in West Nusa Tenggara and Likupang in North Sulawesi, according to Jokowi’s speech.Gadjah Mada University (UGM) head of master and doctoral programs in tourism studies, M. Baiquni, told the Post on Tuesday that the government’s storynomics idea could lure corporate and high-end tourists in the future.“I think knowledge-based tourism, which was previously described as storynomics, could be transformed into a comprehensive tourism product that would improve the quality of travelers’ experience,” he said.He added that travel companies could also work together with academia to provide deep knowledge and interpretations of the tourist destinations for high-end tourists.Baiquni said the government could learn from Amsterdam’s canal tour in the Netherlands regarding knowledge-based tourism, which extends tourists’ spending and length of stay.“In the Amsterdam canal tour, tourists are provided audio with multiple language options that tell the history of the surrounding areas and building. Those tourists can visit the area by themselves and thus increase the chance of them spending more while extending their visits,” he said.Topics :last_img read more

0

Why Hector Bellerin was left out of Arsenal’s squad to face Watford before FA Cup final

first_imgAdvertisement 🗞 Update on @HectorBellerin:Hector has a tight calf and misses #ARSWAT as a precaution pic.twitter.com/AZOFny48r3— Arsenal (@Arsenal) July 26, 2020 Comment Hector Bellerin was left out of Arsenal’s squad to face Watford (Picture: Getty)Hector Bellerin was left out of Arsenal’s squad to face Watford as a precaution after the Spaniard complained of an issue with his calf.The Spaniard is Mikel Arteta’s first choice right-back and he had been expected to play against the Hornets, who are battling to survive Premier League relegation.Arteta picked a strong side to face Watford in prepreation for next week’s FA Cup final clash against Chelsea, with the likes of Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette starting.However, Bellerin’s absence was notable and his omission panicked supporters, who are desperate to beat Chelsea next week in order to gain a Europa League spot. ADVERTISEMENT Why Hector Bellerin was left out of Arsenal’s squad to face Watford before FA Cup finalcenter_img But Arsenal allayed those fears by tweeting shortly after the team news to confirm that Bellerin had a ‘tight calf’ and was missing as a ‘precaution’.AdvertisementAdvertisementShkodran Mustafi is already a doubt for the final after limping out of the Gunners’ 2-0 win against City at Wembley last weekend.The German was not named in today’s squad and Arteta admitted earlier this week that the centre-back is a major doubt for the game against the Blues. ‘The rest is true that Musti is injured and we need to assess a little bit how long he is out,’ said Arteta. “‘I doubt it [he’ll be fit for the final]. I don’t know. We have to see how he evolves in the next few days. At the moment, I doubt it.’MORE: Manchester City target transfer for Arsenal loan star Dani Ceballos Metro Sport ReporterSunday 26 Jul 2020 3:51 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link7.4kShares Advertisementlast_img read more

0

From 50 shades to family home

first_imgYou no longer need to have a Bex and lie downedia room and a laundry on this level.Upstairs, there is an open plan dining, kitchen and lounge area with VJ walls and hoop pine floors.The kitchen has an induction cooktop and an externally-vented rangehood, a pyrolytic oven, a dishwasher and stone benchtops. It leads out onto an entertainer’s deck with a speaker system, and overlooks the garden. There are three bedrooms each with carpet and built-in robes and a main bathroom. Additional features include split-system airconditioning, ceiling fans, network cabling, integrated automation for security and lighting, three water tanks, a double vehicle lockup garage and a separate workshop with storage. Before its renovation you could see the loo from hereMore from newsParks and wildlife the new lust-haves post coronavirus17 hours agoNoosa’s best beachfront penthouse is about to hit the market17 hours ago“The house is my dream home,” she said, noting they were only moving after receiving a job offer interstate. On the ground level there is a spacious second lounge, a workshop and a study area that opens up on to a covered patio, tropical back garden and pool area. There are also two bedrooms, a bathroom with a spa bath and shower, a m 18 Peach St, GreenslopesWhen Natalie and Warren Muir bought their Greenslopes home in 2015, they were drawn to its location and potential.The five-bedroom house at 18 Peach St had been lifted prior to their purchase, but was crying out for a renovation.“We called it the 50 Shades of Blue House. You needed a Bex before you went upstairs,” Mrs Muir said.The couple repainted using neutral colours, put in a Shaker-style kitchen and redesigned the bathroom.Mrs Muir said that the bathroom renovation was a must as “you could see the toilet from the kitchen and dining area”.center_img The 50 Shades of Blue house is now a family homeMrs Muir said one of the best features was “the location … and the neighbours”. “It is such a family street,” she said. The house will be auctioned at Level 1, 33 Lytton Rd, East Brisbane, on Thursday at 6pm by Simon Caulfield of Place – Kangaroo Point.last_img read more

0

No bail bond for rape suspect

first_imgOfficers of the Talisay City policestation served the warrant issued by Judge Eduardo De Los Santos of theRegional Trial Court Branch 46 in Bacolod City dated April. 17, 1995. Gilbert Begueras had been hiding fromthe police for about 25 years. BACOLOD City – No bail bond wasrecommended for the temporary liberty of a rape suspect in Barangay DosHermanas, Talisay City, Negros Occidental. His apprehension was staged on thestrength of an arrest warrant around 7 a.m. on Jan.18, police said. Begueras was detained in the custodialfacilty of the Talisay City police station./PNlast_img read more

0

‘Shabu’ lands 4 persons in jail

first_imgBACOLOD City –Police arrested four residents of Barangay 8 in a drug buy-bust operation. Recovered fromtheir possession were two grams of suspected shabu worth P18,000 , P200 markedmoney and drug paraphernalia. They wereSandra Parimar, 51; Rodolfo Tarog Jr., 42; Henry Tarog, 26; and JessieBautista, 65, a police report showed. Antidrugoperatives of Police Station 2 staged the entrapment operation that led to thearrest of the suspects on March 4. The suspectswere now detained and charged for violation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive DangerousDrugs Act of 2002./PNlast_img read more

0

IMCA addresses wheel spacers, rear end components and weight

first_imgVINTON, Iowa – IMCA wheel spacer and rear end component rules have undergone a fine tun­ing.“Last week we clarified weight rules regarding axle tubes for Modifieds and Late Models,” ex­plained IMCA President Brett Root. “We continue to field phone calls and are expanding that clarifica­tion to other rear end components and try to head off some of the unnecessary direction the market is taking.”Effective immediately, wheel spacers used in the Modified, Stock Car and Southern SportMod divisions must be alumi­num with a maximum outside diameter of 7-1/4 inches.Late Models will only be allowed to compete with aluminum wheel spacers as well.Wheel spacers are not allowed in the Hobby Stock, Northern SportMod and Sport Compact divisions.“We are doing our best to avoid being walked into putting weight rules on suspension compo­nents,” Root said. “Executive Director of Competition Dave Brenn is doing an excellent job research­ing this issue and writing rules that racers can understand and inspectors can effectively enforce.”Additionally, rear end components including calipers, hubs, drive plates and axle tubes must match left to right and be the same in material thickness and composition. The exception is that Late Models may use steel or aluminum axle tubes.Root also noted that the birdcages, shocks, springs and rear suspension configurations do not have to match side to side. “We are not taking tuning away from racers,” he emphasized. “That’s a much differ­ent story than heavy weight components.”“We reiterate that standard weight axle tubes have a wall thickness of approximately one quarter inch,” Root added. “IMCA expects and our position is that axle tubes on both ends of the rear housing match in thickness. Late Models are allowed to use left and right axle tubes of differing composi­tions.”“For years, we have been concerned about products that were under-engineered and were too light. Now products are being over-engineered to add weight,” concluded Root. “That is an issue of safety and forces racers to spend more money. We want them to understand our position and not buy parts they don’t need or can’t use in IMCA.”Weight rules IMCA makes and enforces ultimately effects seven sanctioned divisions. The excep­tion is Sprint Cars as RaceSaver writes the rules for that division.last_img read more

0

Local student selected as an Indiana FFA officer

first_imgIndianapolis, IN—Indiana State Officers for the upcoming year were announced at the 90th annual Indiana FFA Conference in West Lafayette Thursday.  Nathan Fairchild from South Decatur High School was selected to serve as the South Region Vice President.Dillion Muhlenkamp, Jay County FFA, was selected as the FFA president. Muhlenkamp says his number one goal this year in office is to stand united with agriculture.In addition to Muhlenkamp and Fairchild, the following officers were also announced.Secretary: Caitlyn Lewis, Frontier FFANorth Region Vice President: Morgan Hinz, South Central FFATreasurer: Noah Berning, Heritage FFAReporter: Taylor Roy, Franklin FFASentinel: Eion Stephens, Tecumseh FFAlast_img read more

0

Two area prosecutors to serve on Board of Prosecutor Association in 2020

first_imgIndianapolis, IN—Two area prosecutors will serve along with several other prosecutors as board members for the Association was also approved:Richard Hertel (Ripley County) and Nathan Harter (Decatur County) were selected along with  William Hartley (Wabash County), Nicholas Hermann (Vanderburgh County), Dustin Houchin (Washington County), Daniel Murrie (Daviess County) and Karen Richards (Allen County) as board members for 2020.The IPAC is a non-partisan, independent state judicial branch agency and was created by statute in 1973.  It is made up of Indiana’s 91 prosecuting attorneys and their chief deputies and governed by a 10 member Board of Directors chosen from among the state’s prosecuting attorneys.The IPAC assists prosecuting attorneys by preparing manuals, providing legal research, and conducting training seminars.  It serves as a liaison to local, state, and federal agencies, study commissions, and community groups in an effort to support law enforcement and promote the fair administration of justice.last_img read more

0

National U-15 squad leaves for SOUALIGA tournament in St.Martin

first_imgSIXTEEN members of the National U-15 team departed Guyana yesterday for St. Martin to participate in the ‘SOUALIGA’ Tournament, which runs from the 1st – 5th June, 2017.The team consists of two goalkeepers, five defenders, five midfielders and four forwards from the following GFF-ScotiaBank Academy Training Centres (ATC) – East Coast (4); East Bank (1); Georgetown (5); Rupununi (3); Bartica (1); Berbice (1) and one player from Region 1. Please see below complete squadTechnical Director, Ian Greenwood, said while the tournament in St. Martin will serve as preparation for the U15 CONCACAF tournament in August 2017, the long-term goal is to enable the development of the players for the senior men’s national team in five years’ time.Additionally, it will serve as part of the development process for coaches: “Engaging in consistent international tournaments and fixtures are vital as we look to instill the National Playing Philosophy into the players as part of their long-term player development.Tournaments such as these are also being used as development tools for our coaches too as we look to implement the GFF National Coaching Philosophy.”Following their creditable performance in the previous international fixture in French Guiana in December 2016, Greenwood is looking for an improvement on the team’s performances and tactical understanding of the game: “The U15s know that with the launch of the ATC’s, we are consistently looking to improve and develop the playing squad on a national basis so they will need to be positive, express themselves and wear the badge with pride at all times.”The squad, which was drawn from 25 players who were encamped from the 28th – 31st May in New Amsterdam, is headed by Bryan Joseph and will play their first game against Haiti today. The SOUALIGA Tournament will feature 10 territories including Anguilla, Barbados, Dominica, Guadeloupe, Guyana, Haiti, Martinique, St. Thomas and Tortola.last_img read more

12320