0

Canada US see common ground on autos as threeway NAFTA talks resume

first_imgWASHINGTON – Canada and the U.S. agreed Tuesday that one of NAFTA’s most significant hurdles — defining the content rules of North American autos — may have been resolved by Monday’s side deal between the Trump administration and Mexico.The White House is calling on Canada to endorse what President Donald Trump has described as the North America Free Trade Agreement’s replacement, by the end of the week. Trump has already rebranded it the “United States-Mexico trade agreement.”Top members of Canada’s negotiating team made an abrupt return Tuesday to NAFTA talks in Washington, where they face stiff pressure from Trump to join the deal his administration struck earlier in the week with Mexico.Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland, who cut short a week-long diplomatic trip to Europe to travel to Washington, met Tuesday with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. It was her first in-person NAFTA meeting with Lighthizer since the spring.After their one-hour meeting, Freeland told reporters that over the coming days, the negotiating teams would search for new areas of compromise — but she declined to answer direct questions on what could be on the table for Canada.“Some positions have moved since the last time we met face to face and we’ll be looking closely at what those changes are and what they mean for Canada,” said Freeland, who credited Mexico for making “tough decisions” to compromise on labour as part of its auto rules of origin talks with the U.S.The U.S. and Mexico agreed workers earning at least $16 an hour should make 40 per cent to 45 per cent of autos. They also agreed that 75 per cent of automobile content would come from within North America, an increase from the current 62.5 per cent.“The fact that that agreement, on those difficult issues for Mexico, was able to be reached definitely clears the way to have significant, substantive and, I hope, productive conversations with the U.S. this week,” said Freeland, who called it the autos deal a positive for high-wage countries like Canada and the U.S.She was scheduled to meet later Tuesday with her Mexican counterpart, Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo.Freeland said officials will delve deeply into specific issues Wednesday.A Globe and Mail report late Tuesday, which cited unnamed sources, said Ottawa was prepared to make concessions to Washington on Canada’s protected dairy market. The report said it’s part of the effort to save an important NAFTA dispute-settlement system, maintain safeguards for cultural industries and avert tougher pharmaceutical patent protections.Canada tried to offer more dairy market access to the U.S. during NAFTA talks in May, but the U.S. refused, the report said.The Trudeau government has long insisted it will defend Canada’s supply-managed dairy sector.Earlier in the day, both Larry Kudlow, the director of Trump’s National Economic Council, and U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross turned up the heat on Canada’s negotiators during televised interviews.Serious differences remain on other issues, including the dairy sector, how to settle disputes and a U.S. proposal for a sunset clause.But Ross also told the Fox Business Network program “Mornings With Maria” that the American and Mexican progress on autos would be palatable to Canada.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau signalled agreement.“There’s been some very positive progress particularly on autos and we’re glad to be engaging as we have been,” he told reporters Tuesday in Longueuil, Que.Trump himself has threatened automotive tariffs that would cause considerable damage to both economies if Canada declines to join the U.S.-Mexico deal.He also warned he would terminate the 24-year-old NAFTA, a treaty between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico that has been economically significant for the continent.For the last five weeks, Ottawa has watched from afar as Canada’s two continental partners moved forward with one-on-one trade talks of their own.“We have been encouraged by the progress made by our NAFTA partners over the past weeks,” Trudeau said.“This was an important step to moving forward on renegotiating and improving NAFTA.”The U.S. and Mexico also agreed on issues such as intellectual property, digital trade, labour, financial services and Mexico’s de minimis threshold for duty-free online sales that cross borders.In addition, the new deal would expire after 16 years with reviews every six years, a senior U.S. administration official said Monday during a briefing. Canada had rejected an earlier U.S. proposal that NAFTA 2.0 be renegotiated — or sunsetted, in trade lingo — every five years.Trudeau sidestepped a question about the new version of the sunset clause in the U.S.-Mexico deal.Trump, who has called NAFTA a “rip off” for the U.S., called Monday’s announcement a big win.He then delivered his ultimatum to Canada.“One way or the other, we have a deal with Canada,” Trump said from the Oval Office, where he was joined on a speaker phone by Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.“It will either be a tariff on cars, or it will be a negotiated deal; and frankly a tariff on cars is a much easier way to go, but perhaps the other would be much better for Canada.”For Trump, striking a new trade deal with Mexico — and possibly Canada — would be welcomed as a political win for Republicans ahead of the crucial U.S. midterm elections this fall.Mexico would like to seal a new trade agreement before the incoming government of president-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador takes office Dec. 1.— With files from Mike Blanchfield in Ottawa and Peter Rakobowchuk in Longueuil, Que.— Follow @AndyBlatchford on Twitterlast_img read more

0

RCMP arrest suspect in Charlie Lake in connection to Pouce Coupe murder

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – North District Major Crimes Unit has arrested a male in Charlie Lake in connection with the death of Troy Streeper.On Friday Jessie Romeo Fougere was charged with manslaughter, and a warrant for his arrest was issued.  Then on December 8, investigators determined that Fougere was in residence in Charlie Lake.  The residence was contained with assistance from the Fort St. John RCMP, North District Major Crimes, and the RCMP Emergency Response Team.After an extensive attempt at negotiation, the RCMP Emergency Response Team entered the residence and arrested the suspect. On February 16, 2017, the RCMP started their investigation into the suspicious death of Troy Streeper in Pouce Coupe.  Streeper was 55 years old and a resident of Dawson Creek.  The RCMP believe Fougere and Streeper were known to each other.Fougere made his first court appearance in Dawson Creek on December 9 and is now scheduled to appear in Dawson Creek Provincial Court December 11 at 9:30 a.m.last_img read more

0

Jackets to face familiar foe

A fighter in hockey is like a first girlfriend:  Even when they’re gone, you always remember them. That’s why Jody Shelley, despite only averaging two goals per year, is still revered in Columbus. Shelley was the first enforcer that the Jackets ever had, and for the skilled players in the game (the Nash’s, the Klesla’s, the Brassards), there’s nothing that brings more confidence than knowing that a cheap shot by the opposition will not go unpunished. For six-and-a-half years, that retribution, brought by Shelley, was on behalf of Columbus. But tonight, when the Jackets visit the San Jose Sharks, it will be against the Jackets.In the middle of the 2007 season, Shelley was traded to San Jose.  For the time that he was with Columbus, Shelley received nothing but love from the fans — a fight involving him received the same cheers as a Nash goal did. Rarely did he lose these fights, but he did always drop the gloves. And in hockey, only the goalie and superstar receive more respect than the fighter does. Maybe the fans in San Jose love Shelley as much as those did and still do in Columbus, but either way he has not changed much in the past two years.  Only three games into the season and already Shelley has racked up 22 minutes in the penalty box, at an average of 7.4 minutes per game. Numbers like that remind the Jacket fans why Shelley was so loved: He was a fighter, not a lover.It will be bittersweet to see him again (like seeing an ex, only with a new lover), but nonetheless the memories will be flowing seeing the 45 with the Shelley on the back of jersey.If only it was white and blue, not black and teal. read more

0

Torreira Guendouzi set to complete Arsenal medicals today

first_imgBoth Lucas Torreira and Matteo Guendouzi are expected to undergo medicals today ahead of their expected moves to Arsenal, reports talkSPORTTorreira has been linked with a move to North London for a while now, but any deal that may have been put in place for his arrival was put on hold due to his participation with Uruguay at the World Cup this summer.However, the Sampdoria midfielder is now free to complete his transfer to Arsenal following Uruguay’s World Cup exit against France last week.Torreira had announced that news himself over his move to Arsenal in an interview with Telenoche.Jadon SanchoMerson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.“I would have been very happy to be able to return to Uruguay with my team-mates,” he said.“but this is a fantastic opportunity [to join Arsenal] and I do not want to waste it.”Meanwhile, fellow signing Guendouzi joins from French side for a reported £7m deal with Unai Emery having fended off interest from the likes of Borussia Dortmund, AS Roma and his former club Paris Saint-Germain to sign the 19-year-old.last_img read more

0

FIFA plan changes to international loan system

first_imgFIFA are planning changes to the international transfer system that sees players to leave and join other clubs on loan.The changes are expected to limit the number of player loans by clubs and also handle agents’ fees. FIFA are reportedly planning to reduce the number of players a club can loan out each season to between six and eight.The aim of these changes are to stop clubs, especially in England and Italy signing a large number of players and loaning them out immediately.Chelsea currently have around 40 players on their books who are out on loan while Italian champions Juventus also have 25 players away from the club on loan.FIFA are also proposing to create a clearinghouse, managed by a bank, to handle solidarity payments from transfer fees due to clubs that trained players in their own academy. This proposed clearinghouse would also be responsible for handling payments to agents.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…The world football governing body are also planning to reintroduce license for agents and this would also involve exams for potential agents.In a statement released on Thursday FIFA said it has created a new commission called “stakeholders commission” to conduct “a comprehensive review of the transfer system”.The statement also read, according to Sky Sports:“The commission is currently assessing potential changes to the system in several key areas, including, among others, the regulations on intermediaries, solidarity payments to training clubs, streamlining of transfer payments, protection of minors, loans, squad sizes and transfer windows”.last_img read more

0

Atletico Madrid president confident Lucas Hernandez will remain

first_imgEnrique Cerezo is “convinced” Lucas Hernandez will be at Atletico Madrid for a long time, despite the ongoing speculation linking him with Bayern MunichSpanish newspaper Marca claimed this month that Bayern were ready to pay Lucas’ €80m buy-out clause in the January transfer window.Atletico CEO Miguel Angel Gil Marin has already denied the reports, although he failed to rule out a summer exit with Lucas admitting he’s open to considering offers from rival clubs.But club president Cerezo is certain the France international will be at the Wanda Metropolitano for many years.“Lucas is our player and I am convinced that he will continue with us for a long time,” Cerezo told AS.“The relations with Bayern are unbeatable, we maintain a great mutual respect.”FC Barcelona, Valencia CFMatch Preview: Barcelona vs Valencia Boro Tanchev – September 14, 2019 Is derby time in La Liga, as Barcelona welcomes Valencia to the Camp Nou Stadium tonight at 21:00 (CET).These past 12 months have seen star men Antoine Griezmann linked with Barcelona and Jan Oblak with a Premier League move to either Chelsea or Liverpool.Although, considering that Kepa Arrizabalaga and Alisson Becker respectively have arrived since then, a move to England appears unlikely for Oblak now.Despite the interest in their players though, Cerezo is certain Atletico can hold on to their key men.“We fight for what we have to fight. We have the best players and we want them to be with us,” he added.“All clubs want to have the best players, but many of them are in Atletico.“They are with us for the economic part, but also for the sport, because in this club they can go on to eternity. In other clubs, they can earn more money but not spend eternity.last_img read more

0

US court orders Apple to pay 234 million for using BITS Pilani

first_imgTech giant Apple has been asked to pay $234 million to the intellectual property arm of Wisconsin University, Madison, for using without permission patented technology developed by its team, including two Indian-American engineers.The award amount a federal jury in Madison asked Apple to pay on Friday was about $165 million less than what Wisconsin University Alumni Research Foundation (WARF) had sought, according to Wisconsin State Journal. The case centres on technology that became a component of processors that run widely popular Apple devices such as iPhone and iPad.Gurindar Sohi and Terani Vijaykumar, both electrical and electronics engineering graduates of Birla Institute of Technology and Science (BITS), Pilani, were part of the four-member WARF team which developed the technology.US district judge William Conley, who presided over the trial, complimented the lawyers on their professionalism and spoke to Wisconsin University-Madison computer sciences’ Professor Sohi, who led the WARF technology team, seated in the courtroom.”For Dr Sohi, I hope you felt that your invention was vindicated,” Conley was quoted as saying.”This is a case where the hard work of our university researchers and the integrity of patenting and licensing discoveries has prevailed,” said Carl Gulbrandsen, managing director of WARF.”The jury recognized the seminal computer processing work that took place on our campus. This decision is great news for the inventors, the University of Wisconsin-Madison and for WARF.”Apple attorneys declined to comment, referring questions to the California company’s public relations office, the Journal said.Spokesperson Rachel Tulley said only that Apple plans to appeal.The jury also ruled that a subset of processing chips produced in Texas by Samsung under contract for Apple, then exported to Korea, still infringed on WARF’s patent.The jury also ruled that although those chips were produced by Samsung, Apple controlled their production.WARF sued Apple in January 2014, claiming that Apple infringed on one of WARF’s patents in creating a processor for its popular mobile devices, starting with the iPhone 5S in 2012.On 13 October, the jury agreed that Apple’s use of the technology was an infringement of WARF’s patent.The technology, first incorporated into Apple’s A7 processor and used now in the A8 and A8X processors, makes the processors work faster and more efficiently, and extend battery life by as much as two hours.According to WARF complaints, the patent titled “Table-Based Data Speculation Circuit for Parallel Processing Computer” was issued to Andreas Moshovos, Scott Breach, Terani Vijaykumar, and Gurindar Sohi in 1998 as a result of their “labour and ingenuity”.”The invention disclosed and claimed in the patent has been recognized by those in the art as a major milestone in the field of computer microprocessing,” the complaints stated.”This work has been recognized as a major milestone in the field of computer microprocessor architecture/design,” lawyers for WARF wrote in the complaint.”Indeed, Dr (Gurindar) Sohi, the leader of the lab that developed the ‘752 patent, has been elected to the National Academy of Engineering based on his work in the field of computer architecture,” they added.WARF had also asserted that Apple wilfully infringed on its patent, a claim that withstood a summary judgment motion in August.But on 15 October night, after hearing testimony from Apple’s witnesses during the trial’s damages phase, Conley reconsidered and dismissed the wilfulness claim.last_img read more