0

Colorado Coal Industry Sees Sharpest Drop in 23 Years

first_imgColorado Coal Industry Sees Sharpest Drop in 23 Years FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Christopher Coats for SNL:Facing national and state pressure, coal mines in Colorado reported the lowest production in 23 years in 2015, with 18.7 million tons for the period. The state’s output marked an 18.5% drop from 2014 and a sharp drop from the almost 40 million tons it produced in 2004.According to data provided by the Colorado Division of Reclamation, Mining and Safety, significant drops in production over 2014 were seen at a number of local mines, including Bowie Resource Partners LP’s Bowie No. 2 mine, where production fell from 2.4 million tons in 2014 to 1.6 million tons in the last year.Peabody Energy Corp.’s Foidel Creek mine fell even further, dropping about 2.5 million tons from 2014 to end the year with 4.1 million tons. The mine, also known as the Twentymile mine, once stood as the most productive mine in the basin, but it has seen output steadily decline in recent years.Arch Coal Inc.’s West Elk mine also saw a year-over-year drop of about a million tons, ending 2015 with 5.2 million tons in production.The state’s continued slide came despite no mine closures during the year, though a few remain idled, including Elk Creek and New Elk.Full article ($): Coal production in Colorado tumbles to 23-year low in 2015last_img read more

0

Ashley adamant he won’t sell

first_img Press Association Rumours have been rife that the sportswear magnate was preparing to offload the club he bought in 2007 and snap up cash-strapped Rangers instead. However, the Magpies moved on Friday to dismiss the claims, in the process banning the Daily Telegraph for its coverage of the story. If Friday’s statement suggested stability in the boardroom, Pardew’s position remains less assured despite sources on Tyneside denying claims he has just two games in which to save his job. Saturday’s trip to Southampton and Hull’s visit to Tyneside the weekend after are undoubtedly key games for the 53-year-old, who is still awaiting a first Barclays Premier League win of the campaign, although he has asked for patience as he attempts to bed in his summer signings. The Magpies recruited nine new faces during the close season, seven of whom are fighting for first-team places with Daryl Janmaat, Jack Colback, Remy Cabella, Siem de Jong and Emmanuel Riviere having been thrown in at the deep end during the opening weeks of the campaign. However, only former Sunderland midfielder Colback arrived with any experience of the Premier League, and some of his new team-mates have endured a rude awakening to life in English football. Pardew said: “I think it’s a little bit tougher when players are coming from abroad and have to adjust to the Premier League. “I’d give Manu (Riviere) as an example. I spoke to him today and there are certain things that happen in this league which he’s been surprised by. It shakes players up and knocks them off balance a bit. “Remy’s treatment has been similar. People have said to me that he needs to be stronger, and I’d agree with that. But I also think he’s come in for some treatment that he would never have got in France, so he’s having to adjust his game as well. “Making those adjustments are very important, but they need time.” Cabella in particular will head for the south coast with an extra burden on his shoulders in the wake of De Jong’s absence for up to three months with a thigh injury which could yet require surgery. The two men were recruited in a bid to replace the creativity and firepower lost in the departures of Cabaye and Loic Remy, but De Jong’s misfortune has increased the onus on the Frenchman. Pardew said: “There’s more focus on him now, and I think he’s started okay. He can be better, but we’ve got to give him a platform to do that. “We also have other offensive players who will have to step up to the plate. Papiss (Cisse) is due back soon and he needs to score goals again. We need to find a way for him to score goals. “Will he play with Manu? Maybe there’s an opportunity for those two to form a relationship.” Mike Ashley has ended speculation that he is ready to sell Newcastle by insisting the club is not for sale at any price for the immediate future. A statement said: “The truth is, Mike Ashley remains committed to Newcastle United. “For the avoidance of doubt, this means that for the remainder of this season and at least until the end of next season, Mike Ashley will not, under any circumstances, sell Newcastle United at any price. “The club cannot be stronger in stating its position on this matter.” The news may come as a blow to Ashley’s most vociferous critics, who still rail against his treatment of Kevin Keegan and Alan Shearer, his decision to twice appoint Joe Kinnear to positions of power at St James’ Park, his renaming of the stadium and the sponsorship deal struck with payday lender Wonga. But above all, supporters remain furious at a perceived lack of ambition, with comfortable Barclays Premier League survival the major focus. Ashley has rationalised the club’s operations to the point where they are self-sufficient, a far cry from the position in which he found Newcastle when he snapped them up for £134.4million and then had to make interest-free loans totalling around £129million. However, his financial realism means there is no wild spending on transfers, and while manager Alan Pardew has been able to invest heavily this summer, that spending spree has been funded largely by the proceeds from the sales of Yohan Cabaye and Mathieu Debuchy. Ashley, of course, has twice tried to sell the club during his reign to date and in effect, it has been available for much of the last six years, although no credible buyers have emerged and there is no potential deal currently in the pipeline. last_img read more

0

Rivage roars to cross-country glory

first_img “It’s been a wonderful day,” said the Ryanair supremo. “I was so confident in this horse. “This is a horse we tried to sell a couple of months ago but he failed his vet’s (tests) and came back to us.” Press Association Davy Russell steered Rivage D’Or to victory over the cross-country fences at Cheltenham in an incident-packed Glenfarclas Handicap Chase. The former Irish champion jockey is no stranger to success over the banks at Prestbury Park and was content to bide his time faced with the marathon distance of almost four miles. Rivage D’Or slowly crept into the race and avoided a nasty spill before the home turn as French challenger and favourite Toutancarmont went left and took out Quantitativeeasing, with both crashing through the rails. Russell guided Tony Martin’s charge over the final obstacle and he galloped all the way to the line to score by two and a quarter lengths. Any Currency, narrowly denied in this race a year ago, had to make do with the runner-up spot once again. Willie Mullins-trained pair Uncle Junior, aged 14, and Dogora, were third and fourth respectively. Russell said: “I enjoyed that immensely. The horse was brilliant. He (Martin) is a dangerous man around here.” Martin was quick to highlight the role Russell played in the victory. He said: “Davy’s a natural horseman and was the right man for the job. “Throughout the race we were always happy, it was just a matter of being patient and waiting.” Winning owner Michael O’Leary, whose Gigginstown operation also claimed the RSA Chase with Don Poli, said Rivage D’Or had been up for sale earlier in the year. last_img read more

0

Girls volleyball Lakers have 2-1 start

first_img Tags: Cazenoviavolleyball A Friday-night visit to Jordan-Elbridge followed, and the Lakers swept the Eagles 25-11, 25-14, 25-6. Then it took part in the “Hornets’ Nest” Tournament Saturday at Fayetteville-Manlius against a field that included Liverpool, Cicero-North Syracuse, Jamesville-DeWitt, Fulton and Oswego.Once done with this busy week, Cazenovia turned to a pair of important league matches this week as it hosts LaFayette on Tuesday and goes to Skaneateles two nights later.Share this:FacebookTwitterLinkedInRedditComment on this Story The Lakers lost, 25-21, 25-18, 25-20, to the Bobcats, with Kylie Fenton earning seven kills and Helen Hauser adding five kills. Josie Avery earned 18 assists as, defensively, Maddie Waite got 17 digs and Lindsey Clements added five digs.In its OHSL opener last Tuesday night, Cazenovia played at Altmar-Parish-Williamstown and dominated that match, sweeping past the Rebels 25-7, 25-4, 25-14.Avery had the big night thanks to her unusual double-double of 10 aces and 10 assists. Fenton finished with four aces, adding three kills as Hauser, Waite and Maren Smith had three aces apiece. Quinlan Emhoff contributed three aces.center_img So much of the season for the Cazenovia girls volleyball team might hinge on whether Lindsay Lawson returns to the court.The senior hitter is committed to Harvard University for basketball in the fall of 2020, but has also helped the volleyball Lakers to glory, leading them to the 2017 Section III Class B title and the program’s first-ever state final four appearance.Recovering from injury, Lawson watched as Cazenovia began 2019 by hosting Bainbridge-Guilford, the two-time defending state Class D champions, at Buckley Gym.last_img read more