0

Bacolod City allots P5-M to repair markets

first_imgHe added the city government would spend forthe repair of roofs, comfort rooms and lighting facilities of the Vendors Plazaat the reclamation area and the Libertad Market Annex in the southern part ofthe city. City administrator Juan Orola Jr. coordinatedwith the Department of Labor and Employment to identify which of the agency’sprogram can be availed of by affected sidewalk vendors. The clearing of public roads nationwidecomplies with the Department of the Interior and Local Government MemorandumCircular 2019-121 issued by Secretary Eduardo Año.(With a report from PNA/PN) BACOLOD City – The city government hereallocated P5-million to repair and rehabilitate market facilities wheredisplaced sidewalk vendors can occupy. Personnel of the city government check on the stalls around the Bacolod Central Market on Sept. 18 after owners were directed to vacate the area as part of road clearing operations. BACOLOD CITY PIO “I signed the realignment for the fund, frombuildings to markets,” Familiaran said. Some 400 vendors were moved from the downtownarea to the market at the reclamation area but Leonardia asked for an officiallist to determine who could receive the financial assistance.center_img Last week, Leonardia said those affected wouldreceive financial assistance of P5,000 each from the city government. Vendors at Libertad South Market, who occupiedthe Amelia-Mercedes Streets for many years, returned to their spaces at theLibertad Market Annex. Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran on Thursday saidthe amount was realigned from the building fund for the market repair. In August, almost 170 vendors occupying Burgosand Daniel Ramos Streets have been removed and transferred inside the BurgosNorth Public Market while 95 fish vendors selling on Ballesteros Street in thedowntown area have been moved to the Central Market. Familiaran said Mayor Evelio Leonardia is keenon providing assistance to the affected sidewalk vendors, particularly those atthe downtown and around the Central Market.last_img read more

0

Duterte: Water firms liable for graft, plunder

first_imgPresident Duterte made the statement as the Department of Justice announced that it is working to revise the concession agreements with Maynilad and Manila Water after they found several “onerous” provisions in the deals. MANILA – President Rodrigo Dutertewanted to talk with the people behind the controversial 1997 water concessionagreements as he insisted on not paying the Maynilad and Manila Water. “Hindi ito maareglo hangga’t hindi ko makausap ‘yung mga (water) concessionaire,” says President Rodrigo Duterte. PCOO The President also claimed that the water companies have cheated the public of trillions of pesos for passing corporate income tax payments to the consumers and for their failure to establish wastewater treatment facilities “Kaya sabi ko, paano mo aregluhin ‘yan ngayon? They say na, “aregluhin natin.” How? How will I compromise? It’s plunder. That is the classic economic plunder. How can now I tell the people as President: Adre, p***, aregluhin na lang natin ‘to. Tell me. Tell me those f****… Tell me kung papaano ko sabihin sa tao?” he added.center_img “Trillion ‘to, sobra. The fact alone that all these years we were paying a fee para sa water treatment but it’s never came into being all these years. Then corporate income tax was passed on to the Filipino people,” Duterte said. “Kayagusto ko silang makausap. Hindi itomaareglo hangga’t hindi ko makausap ‘yungmga concessionaires,” the President said in a speech at the Malacañang onMonday evening. The President last week threatened to pursue economic sabotage charges against the water distributors as he claimed that Filipinos were being “milked by billions.”/PNlast_img read more

0

Bentaleb signs new Spurs deal

first_img Press Association The Algerian enjoyed a breakthrough season in the most recent campaign, making 35 appearances in all competitions as he established himself as a first-team regular in the Spurs midfield. “The club is delighted to announce that Nabil Bentaleb has signed a new five-year contract, which runs until 2020,” said a statement on the club’s official website. Tottenham midfielder Nabil Bentaleb has signed a new five-year contract, committing himself to the north London club until 2020.center_img The 20-year-old joined the club as a trialist in September 2011 before graduating from the club’s academy two years later, making his first-team debut at Southampton in December 2013. He made 20 appearances in the 2013-14 season but it was the following term where Bentaleb made his mark at White Hart Lane with a series of all-action displays. Bentaleb – who was born in the French town of Lille but has played 17 times for Algeria, his parents’ country – started the final eight matches of the season and formed a fine central midfield partnership with fellow academy graduate Ryan Mason. “I’d like to say thanks to the club, thanks to my family and thanks to the fans for the support,” Bentaleb wrote on Twitter. last_img read more

0

Guard confesses to killing waitress found in trench

first_imgPolice have secured a major breakthrough in the murder of 23-year-old waitress Marrisa Fraser as one of the three persons in custody has confessed.Dead: Marrisa FraserFraser’s partially nude body was discovered on Monday a short distance from a pool of blood, in a canal at Number Five Village, West Coast Berbice.Following the discovery, three men, one of whom is a security guard, were taken into custody. The 38-year-old security guard, who is from Fraser’s village, on Tuesday confessed to the murder, telling Police that he and the woman had shared a relationship. Guyana Times was told that the other suspects were a handyman and a taxi driver.Reports are that the taxi driver picked up Fraser about 21:30h on Saturday from her workplace. According to information disclosed to this publication, Fraser appeared to be under the influence before leaving with the driver. In confessing, the security guard allegedly told investigators that he saw Fraser having a drink with the taxi driver and at Rosignol Stelling Road, West Bank Berbice. He reportedly said that this enraged him, and he followed them. The guard said that he waited outside the bar and when she was leaving offered her a ride home. He told investigators an argument ensued, and he stabbed her with a pair of scissors.The guard’s confession comes against the now dead woman’s aunt alleging that there was an apparent struggle between the waitress and her attackers. The woman, Dolly Wayne, claimed that several persons may have attacked and sexually assaulted her niece.A woman, who lives a short distance from where the body was discovered, told this newspaper that at 06:30h on Monday morning, she saw a trail of blood in the centre of the street, which led to the village cemetery. The woman, however, explained that it was not until three hours later that a farmer saw the body in a corner of the canal that she realised that it might have been the dead woman’s blood.Police found a piece of scissors at the scene. Guyana Times was told that Fraser was stabbed behind the left elbow, left ear, left temple, on the left side of the neck, on the left side of the upper lip, on the right side of the face, thrice to the abdomen, to the left palm and to left breast.Fraser was last seen by her cousin after she went to a wedding in the next village.Police said that investigations were continuing.last_img read more