0

Half-time: Porto 1 Chelsea 1

first_imgWillian’s stunning free-kick seconds before the half-time whistle hauled Chelsea level in their Champions League Group G clash.Their defensive shortcomings were evident again when Andre Andre netted for Porto six minutes before the break.Branislav Ivanovic, who has attracted criticism this season, was again at fault. Yacine Brahimi went past him, and Asmir Begovic produced a fine save to keep out the Algerian’s shot only for to Andre to follow up to score.Chelsea were the better side for much of the first half and Porto keeper Iker Casillas denied Pedro after the Spaniard had been found by Willian’s fine pass.Earlier, Casillas pushed away a shot from Cesc Fabregas after good work on the left by Diego Costa, who has caused the home defence major problems.At the other end, Vincent Aboubakar fired high and wide and then appealed in vain for a penalty following a challenge Ivanovic.Porto’s goal was somewhat against the run of play but their lead was cancelled out in emphatic fashion by Willian’s cracking strike.Eden Hazard and Nemanja Matic are on the Chelsea bench along with John Terry after being left out by boss Jose Mourinho, who gave starting places to John Mikel Obi and Ramires.Chelsea: Begovic; Ivanovic, Zouma, Cahill, Azpilicueta; Mikel, Fabregas; Willian, Ramires, Pedro; Costa.Subs: Blackman, Baba Rahman, Terry, Matic, Loftus-Cheek, Hazard, Kenedy.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

0

Variability abounds in northwest Ohio

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest From corn and soybean fields well on their way, to field needing replanted after a washout rain, DuPont Pioneer’s Ryan Terry is seeing just about everything this time of year. He talks about the variability and what the wet weather in his area is stirring up in soybean fields in this week’s DuPont Pioneer Field Report.last_img

0

Konkan Railway is ready with its monsoon timetable

first_imgPanaji: With all undertaken safety work completed, the Konkan Railway is geared up to implement its monsoon time table with effect from Saturday. It will continue till October 31.The large scale geo-safety works executed along the railway lines in the last decade have significantly reduced incidences of boulders falling and soil-slipping along the route. There has been no major disruption of train services due to falling boulders in the monsoon in the last five years, L.K. Verma, chief spokesperson of Konkan Railway Corporation Limited (KRCL) said here on Thursday.The Konkan Railway, he said, will conduct monsoon patrolling as per the provisions of Indian Railway Permanent Way Manual to ensure safety along the track. About 950 personnel will be patrolling the route from Kolad to Thokur during the monsoon. Vulnerable locations will be patrolled round-the-clock and stationary watchmen will be deployed at critical locations. Speed restrictions will be imposed at vulnerable locations. BRN-mounted excavators will be placed at nominated points for quick movement in case of emergencies. Instructions have been issued to locomotive drivers to run the trains at a reduced speed of 40 kmph in case limited visibility due to heavy rainfall.Mr. Verma said, trains plying on the Konkan Railway route between Kolad and Thokur atnight will have supervisors during the monsoon. An Accident Relief Train (ART), a self-propelled Accident Relief Medical Van (ARMV) with provision for an operation theatre and emergency medical aid will be kept ready at Ratnagiri (Maharashtra), while Verna (Goa) will be provided with satellite phone communication.Mobile phones and walkie-talkie sets will be provided to loco-pilots, station masters, executives of various departments and other officers. Every station on the Konkan Railway will be equipped with 25 Watt VHF base station enabling wireless communication amongst the train crew and between the train crew and the station master.Emergency communication sockets will be provided at every kilometre along the Konkan Railway route, enabling the patrolmen, watchmen and other field maintenance staff to contact station masters and train controllers during emergencies in operating the trains.LED signals will be provided in a phased manner for improving signal visibility at difficult locations. Three control rooms at Belapur, Ratnagiri and Madgaon, will work through the monsoons to ensure safe running of trains.Passengers who have been issued journey tickets prior to announcement of the monsoon time table are advised to check the timings of their train as the departure timings of some trains could be altered. Passengers can check train status on www.konkanrailway.com, or dial 139. Passengers may monitor their trains online during by visiting www.konkanrailway.comlast_img read more

0

Hornets’ Batum says some French fans celebrating his injury

first_imgBSP sees higher prices in November, but expects stronger peso, low rice costs to put up fight Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Batum had played for the French team each year since he was a teenager, but passed on the experience this summer to instead prepare for Charlotte’s season. Now, he’ll miss at least six to eight weeks with a torn ligament in his left elbow.“I know (some) people in France are happy about it; that’s the sad part,” Batum said. “Really, for real. I got on stuff and people are happy like I deserve it. … Trust me, I get those reactions on social media.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutBut he quickly added, “I (also) got a lot of support from France and here.”It was perplexing to the nine-year NBA pro that some fans rejoiced in his misfortune. Fire hits houses in Mandaluyong City Frontrow holds fun run to raise funds for young cancer patients  Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles01:42Police: California school shooting took 16 seconds00:50Trending Articles01:37Protesters burn down Iran consulate in Najaf01:47Panelo casts doubts on Robredo’s drug war ‘discoveries’01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Batum had been dedicated to the French team and said he struggled with the decision to forego international play.Following Charlotte’s 36-46 season, though, he felt he needed to focus on getting the Hornets back to the playoffs — especially after receiving a $120 million contract in 2016.Still, a big part of his heart remains with the French squad.In 2009, Batum hurt his shoulder during training camp working out for France. When he returned to Portland to prepare for the NBA season with the Trail Blazers, Batum said he was told he needed surgery.“I said, ‘No! I’ve got to play Eurobasket.’” Batum said.ADVERTISEMENT And he did.When he returned to Portland, he hurt the shoulder again and missed four months of the NBA season.Now, he’s working through an elbow injury he sustained Wednesday night in a preseason game.Batum will see a specialist in Dallas on Monday to determine whether he needs surgery. The right-handed shooter has been told he won’t miss the entire season, even if he requires an operation.“It’s my left arm, so that’s good,” Batum said.Jeremy Lamb is expected to start for Batum. LATEST STORIES MOST READ Nonong Araneta re-elected as PFF president Nicolas Batum of the Charlotte Hornets reacts after a play during their game against the Philadelphia 76ers at Spectrum Center on November 2, 2016 in Charlotte, North Carolina.  Streeter Lecka/Getty Images/AFPCHARLOTTE, N.C. — After deciding not to play for the French national team this summer, Hornets guard Nic Batum has apparently lost the support of some countrymen.Batum said Friday that some fans in his native France are celebrating his recent injury and taunting him on social media.ADVERTISEMENT Read Next Racela says he didn’t start verbal joust against Chua LOOK: Loisa Andalio, Ronnie Alonte unwind in Amanpulo for 3rd anniversary View commentslast_img read more

0

2 days agoSNAPPED! Man City boss Guardiola loses rag with Stones

first_imgSNAPPED! Man City boss Guardiola loses rag with Stonesby Paul Vegas2 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City boss Pep Guardiola slammed a seat and shouted at John Stones during their Champions League thrashing of Atalanta.BT Sport cameras captured the Citizens boss heading to the substitutes bench in the Etihad dugout after summer signing Rodri went down with an injury on Tuesday.It appears that Guardiola was unhappy that Stones hadn’t read the situation that he made be called upon if Rodri had to make way with an injury.And made his frustration known by slapping a chair in rage while shouting at Stones.Lol Pep really did lose it with Stones taking his time today pic.twitter.com/e0NarbJN5e— Kaila Kika (@KailaKika) October 22, 2019 About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

0

Ktaka students who missed NEET will get another chance Javadekar

first_imgNew Delhi: Karnataka students who missed the medical entrance examination NEET on Sunday due to a train delay will get another chance, Union HRD Minister Prakash Javadekar said on Monday.The National Eligibility-cum-Entrance Test (NEET) for these students will be conducted on May 20, he said. The decision was taken following a request by Karanataka Chief Minister H D Kumaraswamy. “Happy to announce that Karnataka students who missed NEET exam due to railway delay will get another chance,” Javadekar tweeted. Also Read – 2019 most peaceful festive season for J&K: Jitendra SinghAlso, in Odisha, where the NEET was postponed in view of the cyclone ‘Fani’, the exam will be conducted on May 20, he said. In West Bengal’s Siliguri, where students at one exam centre couldn’t take the test because they didn’t get the question paper in the opted language Hindi, the reexamination will be held on the same day, the minister said. The NEET for admission to medical colleges was held across the country on Sunday. But hundreds of students from Karnataka missed the exam as their train reached Bengaluru an hour after the scheduled reporting time for the exam. Also Read – Personal life needs to be respected: Cong on reports of Rahul’s visit abroadKumaraswamy held a meeting Monday with Chief Secretary T M Vijaya Bhaskar and Higher Education Department officials on the issue and raised the matter with the HRD ministry. Union Minister D V Sadananda Gowda also wrote to Javadekar, seeking an early redress to the students’ grievance. Chief Minister Kumarswamy’s office tweeted, “Thank you @PrakashJavdekar and @HRDMinistry for considering the request and helping our students.” Some reports said over 500 students from various places in North Karnataka districts failed to make it to the exam venue due to a five-hour delay in Hampi Express while the others missed the opportunity due to a change in an exam centre. Former Karnataka Chief Minister Siddaramaiah had tweeted on Sunday highlighting the issue. He had tagged Prime Minister Narendra Modi in his tweet. The National Testing Agency, which is conducting the NEET the first time, has announced exam centres will remain the same.”On request of the government of Odisha, in the wake of ‘Fani’ cyclone the exam for candidates whose centre was in the state was postponed till further notice. It will now be conducted on May 20,” an NTA official said. “The centres for the exam will remain same as announced earlier,” the official said.last_img read more

0

Ohio States Braxton Miller 100 percent but still limited

OSU senior quarterback Braxton Miller warms up for the first session of fall practice Aug. 4 at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center in Columbus. Miller missed the entirety of spring practice after undergoing shoulder surgery.Credit: Tim Moody / Lantern sports editorIf the Ohio State football team took the field for a game today, senior quarterback Braxton Miller would be ready — but he’s still limited in practice.Throughout fall camp, Miller has been limited throwing the ball and was completely held out of 11 vs. 11 drills on more than one occasion. On Monday, he said he is “100 percent” and would be “for sure” ready to go if the Buckeyes had to take the field right away.The Heisman Trophy candidate was limited to running plays at a Monday morning practice, but co-offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Tom Herman said Miller would be letting the ball fly Monday afternoon.“On two-a-days, we give him the morning off throwing, and then he throws in the afternoons,” Herman said after the morning practice.Miller, who missed three games last season because of a knee injury, hurt his shoulder in the Buckeyes’ 2014 Orange Bowl loss to Clemson and had surgery before spring practice began. The Huber Heights, Ohio, native was held out of spring camp completely and has continued to be limited during fall camp.Just as he did in the spring, Herman said Miller can benefit from mental reps on the sideline this fall, even though he’s unable to throw as much as he might want to.“You never want to not throw as a quarterback, I get that,” Herman said. “But it’s been good for (Miller), to be able to step back and again, kind of like we did in the spring. He’s very much engaged.“He’s calling out protections; he’s going through his reads, all that stuff.”While Herman recognizes that Miller wants to throw the ball, the signal-caller said he isn’t frustrated with his involvement in practice right now. He said he’s glad to have time to get valuable mental reps, which allow him to correct mistakes once he does step on the field.“Mental reps is part of the game, too, so you see a guy who’s in there taking reps, and you see his mistake, you’re able to fix that mistake when you get in there,” Miller said. “Mental reps (are) one of the best parts of watching, too.”Miller said his limitations throwing the ball stem from soreness in his back as he still works his way back into shape following the surgery.“You know, just a little muscle around the surgery that I wasn’t using after I got the sling and stuff,” he said. “Since now I’m using it on an everyday basis, it just gets sore.”Coming into fall camp, Miller said he knew what the plan was going to be since his muscles weren’t fully in shape. He said he was only throwing 100 percent every-other day during the summer and that he can’t immediately go back to throwing at every practice.He went on to call the limits a “precaution” and said it’s more important to rest now so that he is ready to go Aug. 30 when OSU is scheduled to play Navy.Herman said the Navy game isn’t in doubt yet for Miller, even though he had a slight setback with his muscle soreness.“I think it’s too early to have that concern. I think the trainers are optimistic that everything is on schedule,” he said. “Had a little bit of a setback with some additional soreness that we weren’t expecting, but I’m not ready to say ‘concerned’ is the right word.”While Miller works his way back, OSU’s backup quarterbacks, redshirt-freshman J.T. Barrett and redshirt-sophomore Cardale Jones, are reaping the benefits of time on the practice field with the No. 1 offense.“For those young guys to get the live reps is invaluable,” Herman said of Barrett and Jones. “I mean, you can’t put a value on it because that usually doesn’t happen.”It’s possible Barrett has benefited more than anyone from the current arrangement. After all, OSU coach Urban Meyer said on Saturday he moved ahead of Jones as the No. 2 quarterback on the Buckeye roster.“Functionality, completing passes, growing up a bit, understanding things,” Meyer said of the reasons for Barrett’s rise. “He was always a little bit of a quiet guy. He’s starting to act like a quarterback.”Herman said Barrett has separated himself by simply doing what a quarterback has to do best: move the football down the field.“The offense moves more frequently when (Barrett) is the quarterback, and that’s the sign of a good one,” Herman said.After the morning session, the Buckeyes were set to take the field once more Monday afternoon. Herman said the coaching staff would get a better gauge on Miller’s arm then.OSU is scheduled to take the field again Tuesday before another two-a-day session on Wednesday. After that, the Buckeyes are set to have just three single-practice days left in fall camp.OSU’s matchup with Navy is scheduled for noon on Aug. 30 at M&T Bank Stadium in Baltimore. read more

0

Star GK rejects Napoli to sign with Arsenal

first_imgIt is possible that Bernd Leno could be nearing a move to Arsenal. Petr Cech is now 36 and he couldn’t impress largely enough during the last season.In the same vein, David Ospina is a goalkeeper that provides little faith for Arsenal fans as well as other media speculations trailing the new goalkeeper signing for Arsenal.There are also rumours that the 26-year-old has turned down Napoli, and is at the moment being chased by Atletico Madrid too which could be the reason behind the decision.Jadon SanchoMerson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.The Azzurri were more interested in Rui Patricio while Leno reportedly has a €25 million release clause separating him from an exit, too. His agent also claimed, however, that the Bayer Leverkusen star can only have one priority which is the Mannschaft, according to calciomercato.“Bernd is concentrating entirely on the national team, nothing else matters,” he said.“There are several options for his future, which are tested without any hassle, this has not changed today.” “At the moment, Bernd is a player from Bayer Leverkusen, and this has been constant for more than seven years. As soon as there is something else to announce, we will do that.”last_img read more

0

Lampard feels sorry for former boss Mourinho

first_imgFrank Lampard has revealed his sympathy for former boss Jose Mourinho who is currently experiencing turbulent times at Manchester United.United are on a three-game winless run which continued with a third league defeat to the Hammers on Saturday leaving them nine points behind leaders Manchester City and Liverpool.Rumours are rife Mourinho may be axed if the poor run of games continues. However, Chelsea legend and current Derby County boss Frank Lampard who formerly played under Mourinho and recently defeated him in the Carabao Cup feels for his former boss.“Everyone knows my feelings for Jose Mourinho as a manager,” Lampard revealed to Sky Sports. “It is a tough moment. It is a moment that we will all have, that I will have at times, that every manager has.Jose Mourinho, Lionel MessiMourinho: “Lionel Messi made me a better coach” Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Jose Mourinho believes the experience of going up against Barcelona superstar Lionel Messi at Real Madrid made him a greater coach.“I have heard all his interviews lately. He is a big boy. He will get about doing his job. Of course, I feel for him. They are not winning games, and they want to be – it is Manchester United.“In terms of players, it can be difficult. You need buy-in from your players, and you need sometimes the right message to be coming out. I thought that as a player and I think it even more as a manager.“And you need complete work rate on the pitch. I am not talking about individuals here; I am saying that is what you need.”last_img read more