0

CTV Celebrates the Canadian Heroes Among Us with the FirstEver THE AMAZING

first_img Facebook Advertisement LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Advertisement TORONTO – As 10 new teams congregate today at a secret location hosting the official starting line, CTV announced that Season 6 of THE AMAZING RACE CANADA will be comprised of 10 heroic teams featuring Canadian heroes. THE AMAZING RACE CANADA: HEROES EDITION premieres later this year on CTV.In addition, the network also confirmed this year’s race will kick off live on Facebook today as a result of a partnership with Chevrolet that will, for the first-time ever, bring fans to the official starting line. “Jon on the Road: Presented by Chevrolet” will stream on Facebook.com/AmazingRaceCDA later today. Stay tuned to that page for start time and additional updates.Hosted by ETALK Senior Reporter Devon Soltendieck, the Facebook Live event gives THE AMAZING RACE CANADA fans a never-before-seen glimpse of the starting location and the moment when host Jon Montgomery says “go” to start the race, in advance of the CTV broadcast premiere. It’s the first of five “Jon on the Road: Presented by Chevrolet” Facebook Live events taking place in secret locations throughout the race. Twitter Today’s event includes an interview with Jon Montgomery as he prepares for his sixth season as host of THE AMAZING RACE CANADA: HEROES EDITION, and will also reveal facts about the upcoming season throughout the stream. Fans can visit Facebook.com/AmazingRaceCDA for special messages from Jon Montgomery where he will reveal clues about the locations.ABOUT BELL MEDIA:  With passion and an unrelenting commitment to excellence, Bell Media creates content and builds brands that entertain, inform, engage, and inspire audiences through the platforms of their choice. Bell Media is Canada’s premier multimedia company with leading assets in television, radio, out-of-home advertising, and digital media. Bell Media owns 30 local television stations… Login/Register With:last_img read more

0

Canada US see common ground on autos as threeway NAFTA talks resume

first_imgWASHINGTON – Canada and the U.S. agreed Tuesday that one of NAFTA’s most significant hurdles — defining the content rules of North American autos — may have been resolved by Monday’s side deal between the Trump administration and Mexico.The White House is calling on Canada to endorse what President Donald Trump has described as the North America Free Trade Agreement’s replacement, by the end of the week. Trump has already rebranded it the “United States-Mexico trade agreement.”Top members of Canada’s negotiating team made an abrupt return Tuesday to NAFTA talks in Washington, where they face stiff pressure from Trump to join the deal his administration struck earlier in the week with Mexico.Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland, who cut short a week-long diplomatic trip to Europe to travel to Washington, met Tuesday with U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer. It was her first in-person NAFTA meeting with Lighthizer since the spring.After their one-hour meeting, Freeland told reporters that over the coming days, the negotiating teams would search for new areas of compromise — but she declined to answer direct questions on what could be on the table for Canada.“Some positions have moved since the last time we met face to face and we’ll be looking closely at what those changes are and what they mean for Canada,” said Freeland, who credited Mexico for making “tough decisions” to compromise on labour as part of its auto rules of origin talks with the U.S.The U.S. and Mexico agreed workers earning at least $16 an hour should make 40 per cent to 45 per cent of autos. They also agreed that 75 per cent of automobile content would come from within North America, an increase from the current 62.5 per cent.“The fact that that agreement, on those difficult issues for Mexico, was able to be reached definitely clears the way to have significant, substantive and, I hope, productive conversations with the U.S. this week,” said Freeland, who called it the autos deal a positive for high-wage countries like Canada and the U.S.She was scheduled to meet later Tuesday with her Mexican counterpart, Economy Minister Ildefonso Guajardo.Freeland said officials will delve deeply into specific issues Wednesday.A Globe and Mail report late Tuesday, which cited unnamed sources, said Ottawa was prepared to make concessions to Washington on Canada’s protected dairy market. The report said it’s part of the effort to save an important NAFTA dispute-settlement system, maintain safeguards for cultural industries and avert tougher pharmaceutical patent protections.Canada tried to offer more dairy market access to the U.S. during NAFTA talks in May, but the U.S. refused, the report said.The Trudeau government has long insisted it will defend Canada’s supply-managed dairy sector.Earlier in the day, both Larry Kudlow, the director of Trump’s National Economic Council, and U.S. Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross turned up the heat on Canada’s negotiators during televised interviews.Serious differences remain on other issues, including the dairy sector, how to settle disputes and a U.S. proposal for a sunset clause.But Ross also told the Fox Business Network program “Mornings With Maria” that the American and Mexican progress on autos would be palatable to Canada.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau signalled agreement.“There’s been some very positive progress particularly on autos and we’re glad to be engaging as we have been,” he told reporters Tuesday in Longueuil, Que.Trump himself has threatened automotive tariffs that would cause considerable damage to both economies if Canada declines to join the U.S.-Mexico deal.He also warned he would terminate the 24-year-old NAFTA, a treaty between Canada, the U.S. and Mexico that has been economically significant for the continent.For the last five weeks, Ottawa has watched from afar as Canada’s two continental partners moved forward with one-on-one trade talks of their own.“We have been encouraged by the progress made by our NAFTA partners over the past weeks,” Trudeau said.“This was an important step to moving forward on renegotiating and improving NAFTA.”The U.S. and Mexico also agreed on issues such as intellectual property, digital trade, labour, financial services and Mexico’s de minimis threshold for duty-free online sales that cross borders.In addition, the new deal would expire after 16 years with reviews every six years, a senior U.S. administration official said Monday during a briefing. Canada had rejected an earlier U.S. proposal that NAFTA 2.0 be renegotiated — or sunsetted, in trade lingo — every five years.Trudeau sidestepped a question about the new version of the sunset clause in the U.S.-Mexico deal.Trump, who has called NAFTA a “rip off” for the U.S., called Monday’s announcement a big win.He then delivered his ultimatum to Canada.“One way or the other, we have a deal with Canada,” Trump said from the Oval Office, where he was joined on a speaker phone by Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.“It will either be a tariff on cars, or it will be a negotiated deal; and frankly a tariff on cars is a much easier way to go, but perhaps the other would be much better for Canada.”For Trump, striking a new trade deal with Mexico — and possibly Canada — would be welcomed as a political win for Republicans ahead of the crucial U.S. midterm elections this fall.Mexico would like to seal a new trade agreement before the incoming government of president-elect Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador takes office Dec. 1.— With files from Mike Blanchfield in Ottawa and Peter Rakobowchuk in Longueuil, Que.— Follow @AndyBlatchford on Twitterlast_img read more

0

RCMP arrest suspect in Charlie Lake in connection to Pouce Coupe murder

first_imgFORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – North District Major Crimes Unit has arrested a male in Charlie Lake in connection with the death of Troy Streeper.On Friday Jessie Romeo Fougere was charged with manslaughter, and a warrant for his arrest was issued.  Then on December 8, investigators determined that Fougere was in residence in Charlie Lake.  The residence was contained with assistance from the Fort St. John RCMP, North District Major Crimes, and the RCMP Emergency Response Team.After an extensive attempt at negotiation, the RCMP Emergency Response Team entered the residence and arrested the suspect. On February 16, 2017, the RCMP started their investigation into the suspicious death of Troy Streeper in Pouce Coupe.  Streeper was 55 years old and a resident of Dawson Creek.  The RCMP believe Fougere and Streeper were known to each other.Fougere made his first court appearance in Dawson Creek on December 9 and is now scheduled to appear in Dawson Creek Provincial Court December 11 at 9:30 a.m.last_img read more

0

Jackets to face familiar foe

A fighter in hockey is like a first girlfriend:  Even when they’re gone, you always remember them. That’s why Jody Shelley, despite only averaging two goals per year, is still revered in Columbus. Shelley was the first enforcer that the Jackets ever had, and for the skilled players in the game (the Nash’s, the Klesla’s, the Brassards), there’s nothing that brings more confidence than knowing that a cheap shot by the opposition will not go unpunished. For six-and-a-half years, that retribution, brought by Shelley, was on behalf of Columbus. But tonight, when the Jackets visit the San Jose Sharks, it will be against the Jackets.In the middle of the 2007 season, Shelley was traded to San Jose.  For the time that he was with Columbus, Shelley received nothing but love from the fans — a fight involving him received the same cheers as a Nash goal did. Rarely did he lose these fights, but he did always drop the gloves. And in hockey, only the goalie and superstar receive more respect than the fighter does. Maybe the fans in San Jose love Shelley as much as those did and still do in Columbus, but either way he has not changed much in the past two years.  Only three games into the season and already Shelley has racked up 22 minutes in the penalty box, at an average of 7.4 minutes per game. Numbers like that remind the Jacket fans why Shelley was so loved: He was a fighter, not a lover.It will be bittersweet to see him again (like seeing an ex, only with a new lover), but nonetheless the memories will be flowing seeing the 45 with the Shelley on the back of jersey.If only it was white and blue, not black and teal. read more

0

Mancini the right man for Italy – Criscito

first_imgDomenico Criscito is certain that the Italian FA have made the right decision to appoint Roberto Mancini as the new head coach of the national team and is hopeful of being recalled into the squadThe Italian defender has worked with Mancini at Zenit St Petersburg in the Russian Premier League this season and Criscito was full praise upon learning of his former boss’ appointment.“He’s spectacular, both on a human level and a professional one,” the 31-year-old told Tuttosport, via Football-Italia.“I already knew him before he came to coach here because when he was at Inter he came to find out if I was willing to move to the Nerazzurri.“He knows so much about football but I don’t need to say that, his CV speaks for itself. He’s won wherever he’s gone, from Inter to Manchester City.”He added: “On a human level Mancini is outstanding, our relationship is excellent. I’ll never be able to thank him enough, he taught me football.Cristiano Ronaldo, JuventusSerie A Betting: Match-day 3 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Considering there is a number of perfect starts so early in the Serie A season, as well as a few surprisingly not-so perfect ones….“I’m happy they’ve decided to entrust the resurrection of the national team to him, he’s the right man to bring us back to the footballing elite.”Criscito represented Italy in their disastrous World Cup appearance in 2010 and hasn’t played at international level since 2014.But with Mancini now the new manager, the left-back is hopeful of another call-up.“I’ll be honest, I did make some jokes with the boss!,” said Criscito.“All joking aside though, Mancini knows what I can offer, unlike [Giampiero] Ventura who considered Russia to be too far away to come and watch me…“I really hope with all my heart that I’ll have the chance to wear Azzurro again.”last_img read more

0

Star GK rejects Napoli to sign with Arsenal

first_imgIt is possible that Bernd Leno could be nearing a move to Arsenal. Petr Cech is now 36 and he couldn’t impress largely enough during the last season.In the same vein, David Ospina is a goalkeeper that provides little faith for Arsenal fans as well as other media speculations trailing the new goalkeeper signing for Arsenal.There are also rumours that the 26-year-old has turned down Napoli, and is at the moment being chased by Atletico Madrid too which could be the reason behind the decision.Jadon SanchoMerson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson.The Azzurri were more interested in Rui Patricio while Leno reportedly has a €25 million release clause separating him from an exit, too. His agent also claimed, however, that the Bayer Leverkusen star can only have one priority which is the Mannschaft, according to calciomercato.“Bernd is concentrating entirely on the national team, nothing else matters,” he said.“There are several options for his future, which are tested without any hassle, this has not changed today.” “At the moment, Bernd is a player from Bayer Leverkusen, and this has been constant for more than seven years. As soon as there is something else to announce, we will do that.”last_img read more

0

Unai Emery introduces Arsenal squad to assistant manager

first_imgA new Arsenal has just begun as head coach Unai Emery prepares to make a quick stunning impression.Emery who has had his first-ever training session with his new squad where he features players not involved at the World Cup, posted a footage where he did the introduction on Arsenal’s official Instagram account.Emery was seen introducing Arsenal’s squad mostly the major component of his backroom staff to players who were available to his assistant, Juan Carlos Carcedo.‘We are OK?’ he addresses the squad.‘Good morning. With us is Juan Carlos Carcedo.‘[He is my] assistant, who will work together with Steve [Bould] and with Pablo Villa also.’Jadon SanchoMerson believes Arsenal should sign Sancho Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Borussia Dortmund winger Jadon Sancho might be the perfect player to play for the Gunners, according to former England international Paul Merson. Carcedo has been with Emery as assistant manager at Almeria, having retired as a player in 2006 following spells at Nice and Atletico Madrid. The Spaniard has continued to follow his Emery everywhere as his assistant including at Valencia, Spartak Moscow, Sevilla and Paris Saint-Germain.After the short introduction, Emery arranged the squad back into the swing of things as they set to engage their stamina with the bleep test.  Aaron Ramsey, Rob Holding and Sokratis Papastathopoulos were seen taking part in the arduous fitness exam at the club’s London Colney base.last_img read more

0

PSG eyeing a deal for NGolo Kante

first_imgFrench Champions Paris Saint Germain are hoping to wrap up a deal for France midfielder N’Golo Kante before the end of the transfer window.According to reports, the Blues have placed a £98 million price tag on the World Cup winner, to fend off buyers but the Parisians are currently willing to meet the price tag.Reports from French tabloids suggests that PSG would be forced to sell some players to finance the move, including Angel Di Maria and Goncalo Guedes. However, despite these issues, Kante’s representatives and PSG sporting direct Antero Henrique are currently in advanced talks over a potential deal.Tammy Abraham, ChelseaChelsea hat-trick hero Tammy Abraham hopes for more Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Tammy Abraham hopes this season will be his big breakthrough at Chelsea after firing his first hat-trick for the club in Saturday’s 5-2 win at Wolves.With that confirmed, a deal for Kante may rely upon the futures on Eden Hazard and Thibaut Courtois with Chelsea owner unlikely to sell three key players in one single transfer window.The Belgian duo has been attracting the attention of Real Madrid to replace Cristiano Ronaldo and strengthing the backline, a saga that looks set to continue for the rest of the transfer window.Chelsea will play Man City in the Community Shield on August 5 and regardless of the situation of the three players in question, all are set to be absent due to their World Cup successes.last_img read more

0

FIFA plan changes to international loan system

first_imgFIFA are planning changes to the international transfer system that sees players to leave and join other clubs on loan.The changes are expected to limit the number of player loans by clubs and also handle agents’ fees. FIFA are reportedly planning to reduce the number of players a club can loan out each season to between six and eight.The aim of these changes are to stop clubs, especially in England and Italy signing a large number of players and loaning them out immediately.Chelsea currently have around 40 players on their books who are out on loan while Italian champions Juventus also have 25 players away from the club on loan.FIFA are also proposing to create a clearinghouse, managed by a bank, to handle solidarity payments from transfer fees due to clubs that trained players in their own academy. This proposed clearinghouse would also be responsible for handling payments to agents.Premier LeaguePremier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…The world football governing body are also planning to reintroduce license for agents and this would also involve exams for potential agents.In a statement released on Thursday FIFA said it has created a new commission called “stakeholders commission” to conduct “a comprehensive review of the transfer system”.The statement also read, according to Sky Sports:“The commission is currently assessing potential changes to the system in several key areas, including, among others, the regulations on intermediaries, solidarity payments to training clubs, streamlining of transfer payments, protection of minors, loans, squad sizes and transfer windows”.last_img read more

0

Memo Raises Legal Questions With Alaska Budget Language

first_imgFacebook0TwitterEmailPrintFriendly分享JUNEAU, Alaska (AP) — A legislative attorney says language in Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s budget proposal giving his budget office discretion to transfer money within departments raises legal and constitutional questions. The memo was requested and released by Sen. Bill Wielechowski (wil-uh-KOW’-ski), a Democratic member of the Senate Finance Committee. The budget language in question states that at the budget office’s discretion, it could transfer funding between items in a department. Linda Bruce, in a memo, writes that a court is unlikely to find that the language is legally permissible or constitutional. She notes that the Legislature has the power of appropriation. Dunleavy spokesman Matt Shuckerow says the state Department of Law has not raised concerns with the language.last_img read more

1 2