0

Will Simpson get life term?

first_imgThe kidnapping charge accuses the men of detaining each of the men “against his will, and without his consent, for the purpose of committing a robbery.” Fromong, a crucial witness in the case, was in critical condition in a Los Angeles hospital Tuesday, after suffering a heart attack Monday, according to a spokeswoman at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles. Beardsley has said he does not want to pursue the case. Simpson’s lawyer, Yale Galanter, said he planned to ask for Simpson’s release on his own recognizance. “If it was anyone other than O.J. Simpson, he would have been released by now,” Galanter said. Simpson has insisted that he was not armed and that he went to the hotel simply to retrieve property that had been stolen from him. “You can’t rob something that is yours,” Galanter said. “O.J. said, `You’ve got stolen property. Either you return it or I call the police.”‘ Witnesses and authorities have said that they don’t believe the former USC player had a gun but that some of the men who accompanied him during the confrontation were armed. Two others named in the complaint, Walter Alexander and Clarence Stewart, have been arrested and released. A fourth suspect, Michael McClinton, 49, of Las Vegas, surrendered to police Tuesday. Police describe him as “a key player” in the suspected theft. Police were seeking two more suspects, who had not been identified. Some of the missing goods, including autographed footballs, were turned in Monday by Stewart, 53, of Las Vegas, before he was released on $78,000 bail. Alexander, 46, of Mesa, Ariz., said Tuesday that Simpson may have been tricked because another memorabilia dealer who tipped him off also recorded everything on tape. “It sounds like a setup to me,” Alexander told ABC’s “Good Morning America.” He said Simpson had thought the memorabilia belonged to him after getting a call from the dealer, Tom Riccio. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Kathleen Hennessey THE ASSOCIATED PRESS LAS VEGAS – Prosecutors filed formal charges Tuesday against O.J. Simpson, alleging the former football star committed 10 felonies, including kidnapping, in the armed robbery of sports memorabilia collectors in a casino-hotel room. Simpson was arrested Sunday after a collector reported a group of armed men charged into his hotel room and took several items Simpson claimed belonged to him. Simpson, 60, was booked on five felony counts, including suspicion of assault and robbery with a deadly weapon. District Attorney David Roger filed those charges and added five other felonies, including kidnapping and conspiracy to commit kidnapping, according to court documents. Simpson, accused along with three other men, faces the possibility of life in prison if convicted in the robbery at the Palace Station casino. He was being held without the possibility of bail and was scheduled to be arraigned today. According to the charges, Simpson and the others went to the hotel room under the pretext of brokering a deal with Alfred Beardsley and Bruce Fromong, two longtime collectors of Simpson memorabilia. Once in the room, Simpson prevented one of the collectors from calling 911 on his cell phone “by ripping it out of Fromong’s hand” while one or more accomplices pointed or displayed a handgun. The complaint does not specify which of the men involved was carrying the weapon. last_img
0

‘This is not an election just to decide Amritsar seat’

first_imgAfter being named by the BJP as its candidate for the Amritsar Lok Sabha constituency on Sunday, Union Housing and Urban Affairs Minister of State (independent charge) Hardeep S. Puri spoke to The Hindu. Let’s start with the announcement on Sunday. Was this something you were interested in and was it being discussed within the party for some time? What is your reaction to it?The best way I can answer that question is to say that my position all along has been that this is a call that the party has to make and I have maintained that if the party decides that a particular member in the Council of Ministers, serving as a Rajya Sabha MP should contest a Lok Sabha seat, then, well, that’s a call, a decision, that the party has to make and as a karyakarta (worker) I would abide by it. That is the short and absolutely straight answer.Amritsar is a seat that the BJP lost in 2014, when Arun Jaitley contested, and in the 2017 by-election, after holding the seat from 2004 to 2014. Do you see this as a challenging seat?Look, any election is challenging. And each election, in every five-year cycle or otherwise, has a dynamic that is entirely specific and particular to that context. What happened in Mr. Jaitley’s case has been the subject of much speculation… I think we were facing a certain anti-incumbency. I don’t think that is a reference point. Mr. Jaitley has always been a very close friend of mine, a well-wisher, and I am very sure that even in the context of the 2019 election, he must have had an important role to play in my being nominated to that seat. By dint of sheer professional training, I don’t like making assessments on prospects without doing due diligence, but I can share with you, with confidence, that I think people are aware of the fact that this is not an election just to decide who will represent Amritsar, but this is also an election that will determine the nature and shape of the Central government for the next 5 years and I think the BJP-led NDA is going into these elections with a very positive agenda. In so far as Amritsar is concerned or the three seats the BJP is contesting in Punjab, I have absolutely no doubt that we will win all three. I will give the electorate of Amritsar sufficient opportunity in terms of what I stand for, in terms of my own track record, and more than that, what I plan to do for the city of Amritsar in the next five years. I will place before the electorate of Amritsar a vision document…There were reports of friction in the BJP-SAD alliance and that the Akalis wanted the Amritsar seat.I would be surprised that in any alliance and in any system of democratic functioning, people aren’t jostling. This is a prestigious seat and it’s also guru ki nagri (holy city). So if somebody says in place of the three seats you have, I’ll take this, I wouldn’t hold it against them.What kind of connect do you have with Amritsar? How do you think people will receive you vis-à-vis a local?What would you rather have? You have a choice between somebody who is a local but is unlikely to be a member of the Central government and you have another person, who also looks roughly the same, wears a turban and is as much of a proud Sikh, who has connections with Amritsar, except that he hasn’t spent his life there. I joined the foreign service in 1974, went to Delhi University and had schooling in different parts of the world… But I have in the last one year visited Amritsar dozens of times. I started visiting Amritsar at the age of eight. My grandfather was among those who survived the massacre at Jallianwala Bagh. Now, I would have thought that what is important is to elect somebody who can represent the constituency more effectively and who can carry that into the government so that Amritsar’s work gets higher priority, notice and attention.What will be the broad themes of your vision document for Amritsar?Urban infrastructure and particularly tourism infrastructure for multiplying the earnings from tourism. Amritsar has been deindustrialised for factors that may not be in our control. There are consequences to being a border State. You may not be able to change that, but you can step in and attract more foreign direct investment. You can make sure that Punjabis and Sikhs who have an emotional bond with Amritsar will invest in industries. There is a locational disadvantage, but you can provide incentives. Another area from my point of view is education; international connectivity is another issue. The bottom line is that I look forward to being the voice of Amritsar in Delhi and I want to give people that choice.last_img read more

0

December 12 2008 This Wednesday Arcosanti res

first_imgDecember 12, 2008 This Wednesday, Arcosanti residents had our annual Christmas Party at the Cafè level of the Crafts III building. About 50 people gathered in a jovial atmosphere of good food and high spirits. Some of the gourmet specialties included chicken soup, chicken puffs and chicken salad, all made with Arcosanti raised poultry. [Photo: Alfonso Elia & text: dkt] Each table had the heavy task of opening at least one bottle of champagne. [Photo: Alfonso Elia & text: dkt] Everybody was presented with a little Christmas gift and a big hug from Paolo Soleri. [Photo: Alfonso Elia & text: dkt]last_img read more

0

Telecom Italia TIM has escaped being forced to p

first_imgTelecom Italia (TIM) has escaped being forced to pay a fine of €74.3 million for failing to communicate to the Italian state the fact that Vivendi had effective control of the operator.A Milan court suspended the fine and has said it will set out its reasons on July 4, according to a press report.The move follows a procedure launched by the Italian government last September over the operator’s alleged failure to inform in a timely way of French media giant Vivendi’s effective control. Vivendi has a stake of about 24% in the operator. Vivendi has consistently denied exercising control of TIM.Last month Vivendi’s majority on TIM’s board was overturned after hedge fund Elliott Advisors secured the majority support of shareholders for an alternative slate, although Vivendi-supported CEO Amos Genish was confirmed in his position.Separately, Italian communications regulator AGCOM has said that TIM’s proposal for the separation of its infrastructure arm is admissible for a market analysis.The regulator pushed back evaluating the suitability of the proposal as a way to ensure competition in the market by submitting it to a national public consultation.TIM’s board approved the company’s plan to create a separate legal entity for the infrastructure arm, 100% owned by TIM, in March.The move came after the Italian government triggered its ‘golden power’ to intervene in cases concerning assets of strategic national significance.last_img read more

0

THE PSNI say officers were out on patrol this even

first_img THE PSNI say officers were out on patrol this evening in the Victoria Bridge area.The increased police presence followed reports of anti social behaviour in the area.A police spokesperson said: “Remember to report anti social behaviour, criminal behaviour and anything suspicious as soon as you see it. ShareTweet “This gives us the best chance to catch the people doing it.”POLICE PATROLLING VICTORIA BRIDGE OVER ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOUR was last modified: May 25th, 2017 by John2John2 Tags:center_img POLICE PATROLLING VICTORIA BRIDGE OVER ANTI-SOCIAL BEHAVIOURVICTORIA BRIDGElast_img read more