0

Australian solar facility gets Tesla battery retrofit

first_img FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Clean Technica:A 25 MW/50 MWh Tesla grid-scale battery was commissioned this week at the 60 MW Gannawarra solar power plant north of Melbourne in the Australian state of Victoria.This makes the Gannawarra facility the largest in the country to be retrofitted with a storage battery. Last month, installation of a 30 MW/30 MWh battery at the Ballarat power station in Victoria was completed. That battery is expected to begin operations before next summer.The battery is owned by Australia’s renewables developer Edify Energy and Germany’s Wirsol and operated by EnergyAustralia under a long-term power purchase agreement, according to PV Magazine. Both batteries were paid for by a $50 million grant from the Australian Renewable Energy Agency and the government of Victoria, with each contributing $25 million.Although it was completed ahead of schedule, Edify Energy and Wirsol say that they had to overcome some unique regulatory and technical challenges to deliver the first battery storage system retrofitted to an existing solar farm. While the Australian government dithers and diddles about moving away from coal and toward renewables, the Australian states are filling the policy void and creating new commercial models for renewable energy and storage facilities in Australia.Asking people to change their behavior for a good social purpose seldom gets very far. Asking people to change their behavior to save money works a whole lot better. That’s what’s happening in Victoria today as well as in South Australia, Queensland, New South Wales, the Northern Territories, and Western Australia. The toothless, muddle-headed national government has made itself irrelevant to energy policy in Australia, proving once again that money is more important than ideology every time.More: 50 MWh Tesla battery commissioned at Australian solar power plant Australian solar facility gets Tesla battery retrofitlast_img read more

0

Gallery: ‘Flying colors’ for world’s largest crane vessel’s maiden test

first_imgWorld’s largest semi-submersible crane vessel, delivered recently to Heerema Marine Contractors, has completed its sea trials, and with “flying colors” at that, according to the Dutch owner.<span data-mce-type=”bookmark” style=”display: inline-block; width: 0px; overflow: hidden; line-height: 0;” class=”mce_SELRES_start”></span>Heerema said on Friday that the vessel, the first of its kind powered by LNG, “has successfully completed her sea trials and crane load tests.”During Sleipnir’s sea trials all major systems performed according to specifications or even better, Heerema Marine Contractors said.Sleipnir’s speed was tested and when fully deploying all eight thrusters, a speed was reached of 12.2 knots, approximately 22.6 km per hour, significantly reducing Sleipnir’s transit time to projects around the world.The vessel’s two 10,000-tonne revolving cranes which can lift loads of up to 20,000 tonnes in tandem, were also put to the test, and managed to lift a load heavier than what the spec sheet said they could lift.“Being the largest crane vessel in the world, Sleipnir can lift huge loads and the tests showed she can easily meet the cranes’ specifications,” HMC boasted.Operational tests were carried out successfully with loads of 11,000 tonnes per crane (110% of its capacity) and the cranes passed the tests with flying colors.The Dynamic Positioning system performed even better than the specifications and the system can keep Sleipnir stationary within the footprint of a garden tile of 30 x 30 cm during operational work. Sleipnir will soon start its maiden voyage to southern Spain where it will be prepared for its first installation project in the Mediterranean.The Sleipnir – named after Norse god Odin’s eight-legged horse – was built by Sembcorp Marine in Singapore. With the 220-meter by 102-meter reinforced deck area, the Sleipnir is the largest vessel of its type ever built.It can accommodate 400 persons and will be deployed globally for installing and removing jackets, topsides, deep-water foundations, moorings, and other offshore structures.Heerema Marine Contractors has already won contracts to deploy the SSCV on several offshore projects including the Leviathan topsides installation in the Mediterranean Sea; Tyra jackets and topsides installation and removal in the Danish North Sea; Brae B jackets and topsides removal in the UK North Sea; as well as transportation and installation of the Hollandse Kust Zuid (HKZ) Alpha HVAC platform in the North Sea, off the Dutch coast.Offshore Energy Today StaffSpotted a typo? Have something more to add to the story? Maybe a nice photo? Contact our editorial team via email. Offshore Energy Today, established in 2010, is read by over 10,000 industry professionals daily. We had nearly 9 million page views in 2018, with 2.4 million new users. This makes us one of the world’s most attractive online platforms in the space of offshore oil and gas and allows our partners to get maximum exposure for their online campaigns. If you’re interested in showcasing your company, product or technology on Offshore Energy Today contact our marketing manager Mirza Duran for advertising options.last_img read more

0

Vincent Kompany defends decision to play for Belgium

first_img The 29-year-old admits it is difficult juggling the demands of club and country, but appears to be happy with his decision to play. “For now, in the past and the future, it’s always going to be a little bit of a tricky situation,” Kompany said. “They (City and Belgium) are two very important teams that have different goals and ambitions and it’s just normal that stuff like this happens. “I would not have played if I was not fit. But I’m a professional and I don’t need too much explanation. I just deal with it. I dealt with my decision and I didn’t have a problem with it.” Pellegrini insisted he was not “punishing” Kompany by leaving him out of the team for the games against Bournemouth and Sevilla. And the player himself dismissed claims that he had fallen out with his manager over the matter. ”There is no problem with me and the manager,” he said. The Belgian accepted his demotion without questioning his manager, it seems. Prior to Sunday’s 0-0 draw against Manchester United, City boss Manuel Pellegrini left Kompany out of his starting line-up for the previous two matches. The Chilean was unhappy with the centre-back, and Belgium coach Marc Wilmots, for fielding the player in the Euro 2016 qualifier against Israel in Brussels even though the hosts had already secured qualification. “I’m a professional. I don’t need anyone giving me any explanation,” Kompany said when asked how he felt about being dropped. “It’s fine. I work hard, always. I’m always positive for the team. “It’s not at 29 that I need too much explanation any more. “Every single time I’ve had the chance to put my boots on this term I’ve done very well, with my national team and club. “I’m a team player. We all want to achieve the same thing in the end. If other players do well I’m by definition also satisfied.” And Kompany says he had no problem with Pellegrini last week suggesting he no longer has a guaranteed first-team place at City either. “It’s always been the case at City. There’s been as many defenders for that position since I’ve been there,” he said. “It’s not just one season when there’s been big signings and big players come in. It’s necessary. “Sometimes you get the best out of a team with that competition but that’s true for every position, not just my position.” Kompany’s performance, and that of his centre-back partner Nicolas Otamendi, helped City grind out at goalless draw at Old Trafford on Sunday. The 170th meeting between the two sides was one of the most boring in recent memory. Yaya Toure missed a couple of half-chances before the break and Chris Smalling drew a late save from Joe Hart, but otherwise there were few moments of excitement. Kompany admits the City fans will not remember the derby fondly, but the point the Blues gained at Old Trafford meant they moved to the top of the table. He added: “Both teams wanted to protect a good position in the league. “The fact that it’s a draw is still good for us and good for United. “Losing would have been a problem for us and a problem for them as well. “I predict a very different derby when we actually have to win the game and that will be the case when the next one comes around.” Manchester City skipper Vincent Kompany has no regrets about going against his manager’s wishes and playing for Belgium against Israel. Press Associationlast_img read more

0

2017 Africa Cup of Nations Countdown…. El Hadary Set for…

first_imgBroos Unveils Lions’ Depleted SquadCameroon coach Hugo Broos on Thursday unveiled a 23-man squad for this month’s Africa Cup of Nations tournament without several key players.Seven players including Liverpool defender Joël Matip and Schalke 04 striker Eric Choupo-Moting had already declined to take part in the tournament.Defender Aurélien Chedjou, who plays for Turkish club Galatasary, and was not selected for the squad which includes just two local players.Cameroon began a training camp in Yaounde on Tuesday and will play a friendly against the Democratic Republic of Congo on Thursday.The former four-time champions are drawn in Group A in the January 14 to February 5 tournament alongside hosts Gabon, Burkina Faso and Guinea-Bissau. Coach Hector Cuper trimmed four players from his provisional list.Al Masry defender Hamada Tolba and midfielder Ahmed Gomaa, Zamalek midfielder Mohamed Ibrahim and Ismaili goalkeeper Mohamed Awad were dropped. Last month, Cuper sprang a surprise by omitting Zamalek striker Bassem Morsi, who had been in the starting line-up for Egypt in their last two World Cup qualifiers in October and November.Only four of the squad remain from Egypt’s last participation in the finals, when they won the title for the third time in a row in 2010. They are El Hadary, Ahmed Elmohamady, Mohamed Abdelshafi and Ahmed Fathi.Egypt, who have missed out on the last three Nations Cup tournaments, play in Group D in Port Gentil and open their campaign on 17 January against Mali.The tournament in Gabon runs from 14 January to 5 February. Boycott CallsIn recent months there have been continual calls for strike action, notably in public sector jobs, amid demands for social as well as political change.Close to six months have passed since the presidential election, but opposition leader Jean Ping continues to declare himself the rightful winner and has called on the people of Gabon to resist against “the dictatorship”.Opposition newspapers have made regular calls to boycott the Cup of Nations, which gets underway when Gabon face debutants Guinea-Bissau on January 14, or to use the tournament as a soundbox for their ideas.Still traumatised by the post-election violence, some in Gabon are dreading the prospect of incidents around matches, notably in the traditionally rebellious city of Port-Gentil and in Oyem. The head of state has tried to calm the tensions by reiterating his promise to open political dialogue “the day after the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations ends,” but Ping has so far rejected this.Bongo described 2016 as “a difficult year due to an election campaign marred by hatred and by a post-election situation that saw tension rise to unacceptable levels for our people.”A big football fan, Bongo is hoping the Cup of Nations – CAN to give it its acronym in French – can bring a period of calm.“These should be moments of joy, of coming together and of shared joy,” he insisted.A Gabon squad led by the prolific Borussia Dortmund striker Aubameyang and also featuring the likes of Juventus midfielder Mario Lemina and Didier Ndong of English Premier League side Sunderland are dreaming of winning the trophy for the first time.But the locals are yet to be completely won over by the prospect of following The Panthers, who are also in a group with Burkina Faso and illustrious neighbours Cameroon.“Our minds are not on football,” admitted unemployed Libreville resident Stephane Mba. Mood in Gabon Gloomy Ahead of AfconWith just days to go before Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang’s Gabon begin their quest to win the Africa Cup of Nations on home soil, the mood in the host nation remains gloomy.While the final touches are being put on the four stadiums due to host matches in the January 14-February 5 tournament, the small central African state remains in the midst of a social and political crisis.On the streets of the capital Libreville, decorated with banners advertising the upcoming continental tournament, workmen have been busy applying a final lick of white paint to the edges of pavements.In the other host cities of Oyem in the north, Franceville in the south-east and Port-Gentil, the country’s oil capital, final adjustments are still being made around the stadiums.But the atmosphere on the streets is yet to pick up and the mood around the end-of-year celebrations in Gabon was somewhat moribund at a time when the country is struggling with a severe economic crisis caused by the collapse of the price of oil. Oil is the main source of revenue in the country of 1.8 million people and with a large number of economic migrants from the likes of Senegal, Burkina Faso and Cameroon.“Libreville, Port-Gentil, Franceville and Oyem have lost their reputations as energetic, teeming cities of party animals,” stated an opinion piece in the national daily L’Union on Wednesday.President Ali Bongo Ondimba’s re-election in August, which was validated by the constitutional court, is contested by the opposition and the European Union and led to deadly unrest in the country. In his New Year message to the nation, Bongo accepted the difficulties currently faced by many in the country.“Many of our compatriots have been badly affected by the fall-out from the world economic crisis. Many jobs have been lost in the oil industry in particular,” he said.  Bouhaddouz, a Late Replacement for MoroccoStriker Aziz Bouhaddouz was named in Morocco’s final 23-man squad on Wednesday for this month’ African Nations Cup finals after being belatedly brought in to replace the injured Younes Belhanda and Oussama Tannane.Belhanda broke his toe last month playing for Ligue 1 leaders Nice while Tannane suffered a thigh muscle injury training with the squad in Abu Dhabi last week.Bouhaddouz, who has won two caps and plays for German second division club St Pauli, comes in as a late replacement, the Morocco Football Federation announced.Morocco, who won the African championship in 1976, play in Group C at the finals in Gabon, starting against the Democratic Republic of Congo in Oyem on January 16.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramcenter_img HistoryVeteran goalkeeper Essam El Hadary has been included in Egypt’s final 23-man squad for the Africa Cup of Nations.El Hadary turns 43 this month and could become the oldest player in Nations Cup history, beating the 2006 record of 39-year-old compatriot Hossam Hassan.  Micho Releases Final Afcon SquadUganda Cranes coach Milutin ‘Micho’ Sredojevic has revealed his final 23-man list that will compete at the upcoming Afcon 2017 set for January 14 to February 5in Gabon.Fufa Male Player of the Year Muhammad Shaban, 18, has been given an opportunity to replicate his league heroics at the biggest stage of African football.The Onduparaka striker has not hidden his delight and told supersport.com that, “I am very excited to be on the team that will compete at Afcon. I look forward to giving my best. This is a dream come true.”Shaban is one of the young upcoming youngsters alongside KCCA central defender Timothy Awany who are being groomed for the future.Kenyan-based Shafik Batambuze earned his first call-up to the Cranes set-up following a convincing performance in training in the past three weeks and in the friendly against Tunisia on Wednesday.The Serbian tactician included only four locally based players, including the KCCA trio of Geoffrey Sserunkuma, Joseph Ochaya and Awany as well as Shaban (Onduparaka).He dropped goalkeeper Benjamin Ochan who just renewed his contract at KCCA, Edrisa Lubega (Proline) and KCCA’s Muzamir Mutyaba who ply their trade in the Uganda Premier League.The Cranes depart Tunis on Thursday to Dubai where they will hold an eight-day camp and will face Slovakia on January 8 and Cote d’Ivoire on January 11 in friendly matches in Abu Dhabi. Uganda will open their campaign against Afcon 2015 finalists Ghana on January 17 before facing Egypt four days later at Stade de Port Gentil. They will complete their Group D matches against Mali on January 25 at Stade d’Oyem.  Abdennour, Khazri Lead Tunisia ChallengeTunisia named their 23-man squad for the Africa Cup of Nations on Wednesday with Europe-based stars Aymen Abdennour, Wahbi Khazri and Naim Sliti poised to be the key men at the January 14-February 5 tournament in Gabon.Coach Henryk Kasperczak, who was also in charge of The Carthage Eagles at the 1996 finals, trimmed his squad from 41 players.Tunisia open their campaign in Group B against Senegal on January 15 before taking on Algeria and Zimbabwe.last_img read more