0

No podium protest during Tokyo Games, IOC insists

first_img The IOC and President Thomas Bach have come under heavy criticism for their repeated warnings to athletes about staging podium protests at the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games. Rule 50 states that “No kind of demonstration or political, religious or racial propaganda is permitted in any Olympic sites, venues or other areas.” American footballer Megan Rapinoe was one of many athletes to criticise the rule and insinuate freedom of speech was being curtailed.Advertisement International Olympic Committee (IOC) vice-president Richard Pound has rejected claims the organisation is restricting athletes’ freedom of speech through Rule 50. “So much being done about the protests,” she said on Instagram. “So little being done about what we are protesting about. “We will not be silenced.” Read Also:Osaka selects Japanese citizenship ahead of 2020 Tokyo Games Pound has responded to the criticism in a column for the Canadian newspaper The Star, defending the use of Rule 50. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 center_img Loading…last_img read more

0

IOC ‘fully committed’ to Tokyo Games despite virus: Olympics chief

first_img Loading… The International Olympic Committee is “fully committed” to holding the 2020 Games in Tokyo as planned despite the widening new coronavirus outbreak, the body’s president has pledged.International Olympic Committee president Thomas Bach said there had been no formal discussion about cancelling the Tokyo GamesThe IOC “is fully committed to a successful Olympic Games in Tokyo starting July 24”, Thomas Bach told Japanese media in a conference call late Thursday, according to Kyodo News.The comments came as the viral outbreak across Japan and dozens of other countries has fuelled concerns about the Summer Games, with a swathe of other sports events postponed or cancelled.Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has stepped up national measures to contain the virus, calling on organisers of large events to consider cancelling or delaying them.Everything from football matches and music concerts to the rituals that mark the opening of the March sumo tournament have been affected.On Thursday, Abe requested a nearly month-long closure of schools in a drive to curb the spread of COVID-19, linked to four deaths so far among nearly 200 known infections among the general Japanese public.Some 700 infections were also detected among about 3,700 passengers and crew on a cruise ship that was quarantined off Japan after one of its former passengers tested positive.Bach avoided directly addressing comments by senior IOC member Dick Pound, who hinted the Games could be cancelled if health authorities block travel.Pound also said, however, there has been no formal discussion among IOC members about cancelling the Games.In an interview with AFP, Pound said the Tokyo Games will go ahead as scheduled “absent some very serious and specific admonitions or regulations stemming from the WHO or the appropriate regulatory authorities”.“Unless there is a world situation that is so serious that the games cannot be held or that the regulatory authorities prohibit travel or that sort of thing, we’re carrying on,” he said.“But it would be irresponsible to carry on without having at least in the back of your mind that something might happen.”Bach said the priority now “is to ensure the qualification procedure and protecting the safety of athletes at the same time”, according to Kyodo. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Promoted Content7 Reasons It’s Better To Be A VeganWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?10 Risky Jobs Some Women Do10 Extremely Gorgeous Asian Actresses2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This Year6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True6 Most Handsome Indian Actors6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of AnimeSuper Recognizable Outfits That Actors Wore In The Famous MoviesBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeCan Playing Too Many Video Games Hurt Your Body? Read Also:Chinese swimmer Sun Yang banned for eight years for doping offence“This is what we’re doing in cooperation with the Japanese authorities, the World Health Organization, the Chinese Olympic Committee and many NOCS,” Bach said, referring to national Olympic committees.Disruption caused by the virus has affected Olympic qualifying in several sports, including football, boxing, badminton, handball and wrestling and sailing.Tokyo’s Olympic organisers have repeatedly said they are focused on holding a safe Olympics and Paralympics with the IOC’s full backing.last_img read more

0

Bacolod City allots P5-M to repair markets

first_imgHe added the city government would spend forthe repair of roofs, comfort rooms and lighting facilities of the Vendors Plazaat the reclamation area and the Libertad Market Annex in the southern part ofthe city. City administrator Juan Orola Jr. coordinatedwith the Department of Labor and Employment to identify which of the agency’sprogram can be availed of by affected sidewalk vendors. The clearing of public roads nationwidecomplies with the Department of the Interior and Local Government MemorandumCircular 2019-121 issued by Secretary Eduardo Año.(With a report from PNA/PN) BACOLOD City – The city government hereallocated P5-million to repair and rehabilitate market facilities wheredisplaced sidewalk vendors can occupy. Personnel of the city government check on the stalls around the Bacolod Central Market on Sept. 18 after owners were directed to vacate the area as part of road clearing operations. BACOLOD CITY PIO “I signed the realignment for the fund, frombuildings to markets,” Familiaran said. Some 400 vendors were moved from the downtownarea to the market at the reclamation area but Leonardia asked for an officiallist to determine who could receive the financial assistance.center_img Last week, Leonardia said those affected wouldreceive financial assistance of P5,000 each from the city government. Vendors at Libertad South Market, who occupiedthe Amelia-Mercedes Streets for many years, returned to their spaces at theLibertad Market Annex. Vice Mayor El Cid Familiaran on Thursday saidthe amount was realigned from the building fund for the market repair. In August, almost 170 vendors occupying Burgosand Daniel Ramos Streets have been removed and transferred inside the BurgosNorth Public Market while 95 fish vendors selling on Ballesteros Street in thedowntown area have been moved to the Central Market. Familiaran said Mayor Evelio Leonardia is keenon providing assistance to the affected sidewalk vendors, particularly those atthe downtown and around the Central Market.last_img read more

0

Duterte: Water firms liable for graft, plunder

first_imgPresident Duterte made the statement as the Department of Justice announced that it is working to revise the concession agreements with Maynilad and Manila Water after they found several “onerous” provisions in the deals. MANILA – President Rodrigo Dutertewanted to talk with the people behind the controversial 1997 water concessionagreements as he insisted on not paying the Maynilad and Manila Water. “Hindi ito maareglo hangga’t hindi ko makausap ‘yung mga (water) concessionaire,” says President Rodrigo Duterte. PCOO The President also claimed that the water companies have cheated the public of trillions of pesos for passing corporate income tax payments to the consumers and for their failure to establish wastewater treatment facilities “Kaya sabi ko, paano mo aregluhin ‘yan ngayon? They say na, “aregluhin natin.” How? How will I compromise? It’s plunder. That is the classic economic plunder. How can now I tell the people as President: Adre, p***, aregluhin na lang natin ‘to. Tell me. Tell me those f****… Tell me kung papaano ko sabihin sa tao?” he added.center_img “Trillion ‘to, sobra. The fact alone that all these years we were paying a fee para sa water treatment but it’s never came into being all these years. Then corporate income tax was passed on to the Filipino people,” Duterte said. “Kayagusto ko silang makausap. Hindi itomaareglo hangga’t hindi ko makausap ‘yungmga concessionaires,” the President said in a speech at the Malacañang onMonday evening. The President last week threatened to pursue economic sabotage charges against the water distributors as he claimed that Filipinos were being “milked by billions.”/PNlast_img read more

0

Altercation leads to stabbing; 3 wounded

first_imgILOILO City – Three persons were hurt ina stabbing incident in Barangay Ilaya Poblacion, Barotac Nuevo, Iloilo. The suspects were arrested and now detainedin lockup cell of the Barotac Nuevo police station, facing charges./PN Teologia and Lachica allegedly attackedthe victims after a heated argument ensued between them. But it was notimmediately established what triggered the altercation. According to the police, the incidenthappened around 11:15 p.m. on Dec. 14. center_img The 29-year-old Jannie Dosano, his 28-year-oldbrother Aurelio and 26-year-old Robert Jocson were recuperating at the Don JoseS. Monfort Medical Center in Barotac, Nuevo. They all sustained stabwounds on the body, police said. Tagged suspects were Aljohn Teologia,28, of Barangay Tubungan, Barotac Nuevo and Archie Lachica of Barangay Licu-an,Barotac Nuevo.last_img read more

0

No bail bond for rape suspect

first_imgOfficers of the Talisay City policestation served the warrant issued by Judge Eduardo De Los Santos of theRegional Trial Court Branch 46 in Bacolod City dated April. 17, 1995. Gilbert Begueras had been hiding fromthe police for about 25 years. BACOLOD City – No bail bond wasrecommended for the temporary liberty of a rape suspect in Barangay DosHermanas, Talisay City, Negros Occidental. His apprehension was staged on thestrength of an arrest warrant around 7 a.m. on Jan.18, police said. Begueras was detained in the custodialfacilty of the Talisay City police station./PNlast_img read more

0

‘Shabu’ lands 4 persons in jail

first_imgBACOLOD City –Police arrested four residents of Barangay 8 in a drug buy-bust operation. Recovered fromtheir possession were two grams of suspected shabu worth P18,000 , P200 markedmoney and drug paraphernalia. They wereSandra Parimar, 51; Rodolfo Tarog Jr., 42; Henry Tarog, 26; and JessieBautista, 65, a police report showed. Antidrugoperatives of Police Station 2 staged the entrapment operation that led to thearrest of the suspects on March 4. The suspectswere now detained and charged for violation of Republic Act 9165, or the Comprehensive DangerousDrugs Act of 2002./PNlast_img read more

0

DU30 MAKES DRILON SONA ‘PUNCHING BAG’

first_imgFor democracy to thrive, according to Drilon, “We need free press and to allow journalists to exercise complete freedom to do their mandate of reporting facts without fear.” “In an interview, (Drilon) arrogantly mentioned, among others, that oligarchs need not be rich,” said Duterte. “Then he linked the anti-dynasty system with oligarchy and the topic was my daughter and son. This happened after the Committee on Franchise voted 70-11 to deny the grant of franchise to ABS-CBN. Obviously, he was defending the Lopezes that they are not oligarchs.” “Oligarchy is a form of power structure in which power rests with a small number of people which use their power to seek personal gain or benefit their business interests,” Drilon said. “You cannot equate the rich and oligarch. It does not mean that if you are rich, you are on oligarch. An oligarch is the one that influences the decision of the government or the one using their [riches] in order that the policy that they want will be pursued.”/PN Drilon, in a previous interview, had said if the President was serious in dismantling oligarchs, the latter must tell his allies in Congress to pass the Anti-Dynasty Bill. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte opened his fifth State of the Nation Address (SONA) at the Batasang Pambansa by making Senate Minority Leader Franklin Drilon of Iloilo City his punching bag. Drilon recently dared the President to encourage the Congress to pass the anti-dynasty law to dismantle oligarchy effectively. “Wala po akong kinalaman sa concession agreements na ‘yan. Kaya ko pong harapin ang buong bansa at sabihin na wala akong kinalaman diyan,” Drilon said. “Wala po akong pakialam sa sinasabing concession agreement ng Pangulo. Wala na po ako sa ACCRA nun.” “I aired my support for the renewal of franchise of ABS-CBN because undeniably the network complements other stations in providing timely and accurate reportage even in the farthest locality unreachable to others, even to the government,” he added. “My countrymen, it is sad that while government focuses its attention and resources to battle the coronavirus, there are those who take advantage of a preoccupied government. One of them is Sen. Frank Drilon,” said the President at the start of his close to two-hour speech yesterday afternoon. President Rodrigo Duterte used his State of the Nation Address to castigate Sen. Franklin Drilon over the opposition lawmaker’s proposal to ban political dynasties if government wants to dismantle oligarchy. In response, Drilon said he was defending press freedom and not the Lopezes who own ABS-CBN Corp. which was shut down by the National Telecommunications Commission after its franchise expired and was not granted a new one by Congress.center_img “Media is a powerful tool in the hands of oligarchs like the Lopezes who used their media outlets in their battles with political figures. I am a casualty of the Lopezes during the 2016 election,” said Duterte. “Were you a part of (the) ACCRA (law firm) when this contract of (Manila) Water was being drafted? Bakit kasi ikaw lang ang galit sa dynasty? You are a hypocrite,” Duterte said. Drilon stressed that simply being rich is not equivalent to being an oligarch and also emphasized that political dynasties will continue to nurture oligarchy in the Philippines. “I was defending freedom of the press, not the Lopezes. The closure of the ABS-CBN sent a chilling effect,” Drilon said. Justifying ABS-CBN’s closure, Duterte said great wealth enables economic elites and corporations to influence public policy to their advantage. The senator said Duterte must go beyond the fact that he has children in the politics in House deputy speaker Paolo Duterte, Davao City mayor Sara Duterte and Vice Mayor Baste Duterte if he is really determined in dismantling oligarchy. “With the popularity rating of the President, he has the capacity to push that in Congress,” Drilon said over at the Kapihan sa Manila Bay. “When you want to remove oligarchy as a power structure then you should rise above all of these.” In the latter part of his speech, President Duterte once again lambasted Drilon and accused the latter of having a hand in the questionable water concession agreement entered by the government before with Manila Water. In an interview over DZBB, Drilon reiterated he was never involved in the crafting of the water concession agreements as Duterte claimed.last_img read more

0

Education vs. Fun

first_imgAll people my age can remember getting out of 7th period class to go to an athletic contest.  We also can remember, if not weekly, at least bi-monthly pep sessions.  It seems that all of us graduated on time and most of us did quite well as we went on to further our education.  However, today somebody has decided that not one minute of any school day can be used for anything other than academic instruction.  I would be willing to bet that the majority of the schools, especially those over 500 students, have not had a pep session in years.  I keep reading that club activities will have to meet before the school day or after the school day and the sponsors will have to volunteer their time to lead them.  I guess we learn nothing from history on how to keep a student alert, focused, and interested in education.  What is the old saying?–“all work and no play makes Jack a very dull boy”.  I doubt if a 30-minute pep session on a Friday afternoon ever kept a student out of college.  Someone sitting at a desk in a state education department is pondering why students commit suicide at a higher rate now than what they used to.  I think I know one answer–all pressure and no fun!last_img read more

0

Students Will Hear Power of Good, Bad Decisions

first_imgCrash survivor Sarah Panzau will share her story with South Dearborn students Thursday.A survivor of a drunk-driving accident will tell her story to South Dearborn High School students on Thursday afternoon.Sarah Panzau, a two-time member of the National Junior College Athletic Association women’s volleyball All-America team, knew what it was like to be on top of her game –and on top of the world. But, somewhere between life as a competitively driven high school athlete and the early years of college, Panzau began heading down a destructive path.Aug. 23, 2003, was the day her life would change forever as her car spun out of control. With a blood-alcohol level nearly four times the legal limit, the 21-year-old decided to drive home drunk, missed a highway exit and rolled her car four times.Panzau is now committed to speaking with students about how her life was forever changed because of the poor decisions she made.The presentation is sponsored by local Anheuser-Busch wholesaler Craig Distributing Co., Inc.“A presentation for students about making smart choices, respecting parents and rising above disabilities,” said Craig Distributing Inc., Office Manager Tami Shelton.East Central High School students attended the presentation from Panzau last school year.last_img read more

1234496